Am I & my friend the only one, or do others think that Body Protectors...

I always wear mine, I had a bad fall but was wearing a racesafe one A&E told me my back could have been broken only that i had my back protector on broken bones i did sustain were sore enough. Now i wear and Airowear one that moulds to your body and its comfy. Yes it be great not to wear a bp and a hat for that matter but to me horseriding is dangerous enough even if you have a quiet horse, I'll wear all the protection i can get lol!

I always wear my racesafe.. really comfortable and was fitted. I feel naked without it, it also serves the purpose of keeping my boobies from bouncing :)

I fell of XC and broke my collarbone. I don't think I would have fallen off without it because it restricts my movement and stability so much.

I honestly don't even notice that I have mine on (other than getting hot!). I always wear mine when jumping, but dont' tend to put it on in the summer doing flatwork simply due to the heat issue!

If your body protector inhibits your riding position and restricts your movement/stability then I would think it doesn't fit you properly.

Your friends must not have fitted if it moved enough to hit her neck. You should get them properly fitted then they do not hinder you. I ride the same with or without one, and currently onbly wear mine XC and hunting or if i am jumping an unknown horse.

up until recently I wore one every time I rode. Then I found I was overheating in it when doing hard work in lessons. So I didn't wear one and fell off. Now I have no idea whether it would have stopped me bruising my cocyx or fracturing my neck but I will be wearing mine in future because

a oh might break my neck himself if I don't wear one

b it stops you getting as winded

c you can have bad falls from perfectly normal behaved horses in normal situations.

each to their own though, I have a reason to wear one now.:)

I used to own one but found it really restricted so I only wore it a couple of times.

If I ever start doing XC I will get one, but would have to make sure it was less restrictive than my old one! I have heard good things about Racesafe so they would probably be the first I looked at.

I love mine!! I dont even really notice i am wearing it appart from the heat issue. But yeh i still love mine. I had it properly fitted :) wouldnt ride without it, i have a13.2 pony who is the most sane pony i have ever ridden but still wouldnt get on without my bp on.

I went XC recently for my first time - fell off several times :eek: and i swear i would have had a whole lot more bruises if i didnt have it on, also i have fallen off on the road once and only once but again i rekon it would have been so much worse without it on.

I find them restrictive and am too used to riding without. I won't jump xc without though! i prefer to wear my motorbike jacket - protects elbows, back, shoulders - when hacking.

I love mine!! I dont even really notice i am wearing it appart from the heat issue. But yeh i still love mine. I had it properly fitted :) wouldnt ride without it, i have a13.2 pony who is the most sane pony i have ever ridden but still wouldnt get on without my bp on.

I went XC recently for my first time - fell off several times :eek: and i swear i would have had a whole lot more bruises if i didnt have it on, also i have fallen off on the road once and only once but again i rekon it would have been so much worse without it on.

You do know that if you fall off in your BP and it absorbs impact, that you should have it replaced, don't you? Lots of people don't seem to realise that. The foam only absorbs impact properly ONCE.

I wear mine everytime I ride - it doesn't bother me or restrict me. I'd be inclied to say that if it restricts you them it doesn't fit properly

Don't wear one ever by choice. Find them very restrictive not just for riding, but when falling also. I fall like a brick when wearing a BP.

The students where I work are made to wear them at all times, and they've had a ridiculous number of silly windy falls, result in broken arms/wrists and collarbones.

I've explained my reasons for not wearing one at work, and have gotten away it with it so far, but I'm afraid, I wouldn't be let back and finish breaking any of the young horses without one.... and that is just not something I'm prepared to do for my own safety. I feel so much more comfortabe and safer without.

Jiggery pony had a paddy on me today and the first thing I did was prepare incase I took a fall, ditched my stirrups and got ready to roll... you just can't do that in a BP.

I had a rotational fall out XC on cobby coloured last year (luckily onto higher ground) and I would have been flattened, had I been wearing a BP. I felt like I'd been in a car crash, but I didn't break anything!!

I always wear my racesafe.. really comfortable and was fitted. I feel naked without it, it also serves the purpose of keeping my boobies from bouncing :)

LOL ditto that!

I find it hard to tighten my girth when I'm wearing my BP (Racesafe) which is a bit of a nuisance, and when I fell off I landed on my backside, so it didn't really help much!

You do know that if you fall off in your BP and it absorbs impact, that you should have it replaced, don't you? Lots of people don't seem to realise that. The foam only absorbs impact properly ONCE.

I am not sure that this is correct. The foam used for BPs is not like the foam used in hats, which DOES deform on impact. BPs are made of a completely different type of material.

I am not sure that this is correct. The foam used for BPs is not like the foam used in hats, which DOES deform on impact. BPs are made of a completely different type of material.

I had a fall and took my BP to the tack shop and they told me it didn't need to be replaced.

I wear my BP for everything - even dressage to the amazment of some people. I feel 100% comfortable and relaxed whilst wearing it and it makes me feel more confident. I have had several falls where I believe mt BP has saved me from injury.

newrider.com