Am I too large for a 13.2 hh pony?

Sep 29, 2019
Hi i have a quick question so at the moment I ride a 13.2hh pony around 85cm cause but started to think I might be getting a bit heavy for her as i am 56kg but am 5 foot eight the size doesn’t really bother me I have always ridden small pony but just wondering if she could still carry me any advice welcome thanks

It depends is the only honest answer! How does the pony feel when you ride her, does she feel like she struggles to cope or is uncomfortable? Is she sore or unwilling to be touched anywhere? What's her reaction when she sees tack coming?

There is no absolute answer because it will vary from partnership to partnership. All you can do is honestly assess how you both feel.

Reactions: Huggy
Well she is not in any discomfort to be honest she is quiet a cobby pony and good bone structure she doesn’t like me tacking her up but she’s been like that since I was nine and she is just a grumpy mare thanks for your reply

I've put on weight recently ( :( ) and am 57k (9st). I'm shortish, but am riding a 13hh very chunky Irish cob. He could take WAY more than me, weightwise. As carthorse says, depends! If she's okay, and you're okay, then, well - you're okay!

newrider.com