Am I too tall for my horse please help!!

Lolatheshowgirl

Jul 13, 2016
Hi all I have owned my lovely Lola for over a year and a half. I am 5'8 size 12. She turned 5 in April this year. I was told she would make 15.3 but she is only 14.2 at the moment although she is bum high. I doubt she will make 15.3 I am seriously worriee that I am too tall and large for her. It's always in the back of my mind. I have a battle with myself every time I see her, I love her to bits she's the first horse I've owned and we have been coming along nicely together, she's everything in want apart from maybe a hand or 2 bigger. Is it worth selling her just for a few extra inches? I'm so confused and would be grateful for honest opinions. Thank you x

P.S I have an 18 inch saddle now in the pictures it's a 17 inch which I realised was too small for me

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1477762436347.jpg
    FB_IMG_1477762436347.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 136
  • FB_IMG_1475584220251.jpg
    FB_IMG_1475584220251.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 128

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
Up to you. My girl is 14.2 and I'm 5 foot 7 and TBH it's not easy getting my leg on - I have to ride really short. I've always wished she was a hand taller too! But you sound like you're worrying that you're hurting her, and unless you are very, very heavy, I am sure that you're not.

Reactions: Lolatheshowgirl

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
You are not too tall or heavy. Personally I don't feel as comfortable or balanced on smaller horses but that is just my personal preference. She looks and sounds like a real gem!

Reactions: Lolatheshowgirl

Lolatheshowgirl

Jul 13, 2016
I am so relieved everyone thank you for being honest it has been really bothering me for a while. It doesnt help that im surrouded by mostly 16hh+ horses on my yard!! And people all have their opinions about me and Lola. I feel fine and comfortable on her I jump her and do all sorts and she doesnt struggle. I love her and want to keep her forever x

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
If it helps, I have a 14'2 myself and am on a yard where most are much taller than Belle, she is a Haflinger and although not the tallest she has a wide back and a big deep barrel and takes up my leg well, everyone is used to us now, no one ever comments and if they did I'd just tell them to mind their own, I always think the most important thing in these situations is 'can my horse carry me comfortably?' If the answer to that is yes the next one is 'do I enjoy my horse?' if that's a yes the next most important thing is to stop caring what anyone else thinks and get on with enjoying your horse :D

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
Don't let their insecurities eat away at you, If they have a problem with a smaller horse that's it it's their problem, not yours.

No you are not too tall, to heavy or anything and if you enjoy your horse do just that. Let those with big hay burners get on with it. big horses just cost more in feed, transport, time and energy, rugs shoes, in fact everything. Carry on enjoying your little horse and be proud of her

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
She is just gorgeous and you seem to fit her very well! I am sure you are not squashing her. Never mind those big Chelsea tractors, go on enjoying your little Smart car :)

Reactions: squidsin

Holly Davies

Nov 7, 2016
Peterborough
I think you look absolutely fine!!

I am 5'4 / 5'5 and have a 14.1hh cob, well she is actually 14 hands a quarter lol

And I feel fine!!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1467871883068.jpg
    FB_IMG_1467871883068.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 33

heckhorses

Sep 27, 2016
I think you look lovely! I'm 5'6-7 and always prefer the chunky littlies! I always think about all the adults riding around on tough tiny Icelandics and that makes me feel better!

CharliesAngel

Jan 15, 2010
she looks absolutely fabby and you’re totally fine on her :) Is an 18” saddle definitely ok for her though length wise?

Kirsty1612

Mar 31, 2017
There is a lot of this going round lately!!!! And it's being said to the wrong people. I say ur not too big, and as long as your comfortable that's all what matters. I think if u sat on a horse you would just know if it wasn't right.

Reactions: SeeingSpots