Am I too tall for my horse please help!!

Hi all I have owned my lovely Lola for over a year and a half. I am 5'8 size 12. She turned 5 in April this year. I was told she would make 15.3 but she is only 14.2 at the moment although she is bum high. I doubt she will make 15.3 I am seriously worriee that I am too tall and large for her. It's always in the back of my mind. I have a battle with myself every time I see her, I love her to bits she's the first horse I've owned and we have been coming along nicely together, she's everything in want apart from maybe a hand or 2 bigger. Is it worth selling her just for a few extra inches? I'm so confused and would be grateful for honest opinions. Thank you x

P.S I have an 18 inch saddle now in the pictures it's a 17 inch which I realised was too small for me
Not even joking I've seen someone your size ride a 10 hand horse!!

Not at all!! You are probably the perfect size, I may ride a horse thats 16.2 for lessons i ride a 14 hand pony every week as well! Don't worry you are fine!

You look great on her and she's a beautiful pony. I'm 5ft 11 and I ride a 14h cob . As much as I hope she grows another inch or two if she doesn't it's not the end of the world. Amazingly no one has commented on my decision to squish ponies!

You look great on her and she's a beautiful pony. I'm 5ft 11 and I ride a 14h cob . As much as I hope she grows another inch or two if she doesn't it's not the end of the world. Amazingly no one has commented on my decision to squish ponies!

Attachments

• IMG_1524.JPG
    IMG_1524.JPG
    357.8 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Huggy
I know this is an old thread but wanted to let you know I also ride a ponio. He's a 14 hh hafflinger and I'm 5.6. I had to comment as it drives me crazy when people look at me sideways. And indie is 15 hh. I liked them small. ;)

Reactions: domane
she looks absolutely fabby and you’re totally fine on her :) Is an 18” saddle definitely ok for her though length wise?
She's lovely, you look fine on her and won't be too heavy. Sorry I do agree with this comment though as I very much doubt a 18" saddle will be OK on her. We have a a full up 14.2hh mare that wears 6ft rugs but absolute maximum length saddle safe for her is a 17", she's has a 16.5". I would get a master saddler out to take a look as if the new saddle is too long it could cause issues for her. x

Reactions: Lemme
I am so relieved everyone thank you for being honest it has been really bothering me for a while. It doesnt help that im surrouded by mostly 16hh+ horses on my yard!! And people all have their opinions about me and Lola. I feel fine and comfortable on her I jump her and do all sorts and she doesnt struggle. I love her and want to keep her forever x

Hi if it's her in your profile pic you definitely don't look too big for her. I'm having the same problem as I have a Clydesdale but a lady on the yard has asked me if I could exercise her 12hh half Shetland pony, I'm just under 9 stone and 5 foot 3. I get people saying it's absolutely fine and other people who are being funny about it? I took him in the school last week for 15 minutes and he didn't even break a sweat! I personally think you two look perfect together

Hello I'm lily and I need some advice I am 5'6 and my horse sentry is a 15hh Irish cob.I think I look big on him however I rarely feel big on him anyone have some advice? Would be much appreciated! 103271103269103270

Reactions: Frances144
Nope. Not too big at all. I'm 5'2" on 13hh cob - they take up your leg, so we look fine! He's lovely - looks like mine, but bigger!

newrider.com