Amazing days.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Just wanted to share, my daughter came up to visit yesterday and took me out for the day for my birthday - we had a lovely morning, browsing antique shops, then she took me for lunch and a walk, finally my birthday gift was an owl and falcon experience, wow, I got to meet lots of owls and fly a barn owl, then we went out into a field to fly a Harris hawk! I was smitten, such an amazing experience and just such stunningly beautiful and clever birds.

Then this morning the amazing Mr KR presented me with a beautifully hand made Damascus steel knife (made by my super clever and talented brother) every single thing about it I love, I've been looking for a new cooks knife for ages and they really don't get much better than this.
I'll post some photo's both the birds and the knife later if anyone is interested.

To top it all off I had a lovely hack in the frosty sunshine on my beautiful Belle, :D

What a perfect couple of days :D I'd really like to see your pics, and I'm super impressed your brother made a Damascus steel knife!!!! :eek::eek::eek: What a fabulous gift, and the falconry experience too :)

That's what he does for a living these days Jessey, he said it takes him up to 40 hours to make one knife depending on the pattern and size - I'm totally in awe of his creativity. I've handled birds before as a child, Dad used to fly a Sparrowhawk and baby sit his friends Buzzard many, many years ago, but the Harris Hawk was something else, as for the owls, well the one I flew was called Tilley and I did have a little chuckle to myself and thought 'thank goodness it isn't NR Tilley sitting on my wrist!'

Oooh please share your pics! What a wonderful day it sounded. Wow wow to the knife! How talented!!!!!
I was lucky enough to go to a bird sanctuary a few years ago and Mr T flew one of the birds, he couldn't believe how heavy it was. Amazing. Happy belated birthday too:D
That sounded wonderful browsing the antique shops too:)

We have an owl sanctary new where I live. It costs £5.00 to get in, see the birds and watch a flying demo. I thought that was great value until I got there and realised that you could actually fly the birds too.
I overcame my fear of birds to have a barn owl land on my arm. From then on I was smitten and also ‘flew’ a kestrel, sparrow hawk, and held a Harris Hawk. Couldn’t bring myself to handle the Eagle Owl due to the size, but maybe next time.
It was the best two hours I’ve ever had for £5.00. Will definitely be going back.
Sounds like you have had a fabulous birthday .

Unfortunately I cant see the pics other than very tiny thumbnails that even with my new bifocals I cant see - but the description of your birthday treat is just fabulous - what a very kind and thoughtful daughter you have KR and the very thoughtful Mr. Kr presenting you with such a thoughtful and personal gift. Happy birthday indeed for you and I wish you many, many more :) x

Sorry I'm late to the party, but Happy Birthday!

I'm so glad you had a lovely few days - you definitely deserve it of all people :) X

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Sorry I'm late to the party, but Happy Birthday!

I'm so glad you had a lovely few days - you definitely deserve it of all people :) X

Late is fine hun, and thank you :) x
Im going to take some photo's of the knife (well Ive two now, but that's another story) with my proper camera when I get time.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com