An hour lunging your horse

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
:)

Twenty minutes lunging of some description. We were both nosing around initially!!

Forty minutes rewatching the session, taking stills, fiddling and playing bits back again.
Having a camera on your hat to lunge is an eye opener, because it shows you exactly where you are focused and what you say.

She thought about hesitating and I said "jog on cobby" I also don't talk out loud as much as I thought apart from the cues. But gosh is there a lot of internal chit chat!!!!!

Last edited:
I need to get someone to help me lunge Hogan. I'm rubbish at it, and his previous owner said he was too. It would do him so much good!

I'm looking forward to starting lunge work with Zi. It's a long time since I've done any so I may well be rusty. Plus it will be interesting to see how he goes.

Reactions: Huggy
I need to get someone to help me lunge Hogan. I'm rubbish at it, and his previous owner said he was too. It would do him so much good!

Hmmmm, with respect, I've never really believed that horses are "rubbish" at lunging - they just haven't been taught properly, and/or the handler isn't getting it right. Lunging is like, 99% body language... so if you get it wrong it's not going to work as you are giving the horse the wrong messages and they don't understand what you want them to do. Some horses will work it out but a lot will just go "ahh, sorry... can't do it" .
I used to teach the youngsters to lunge within their first couple of sessions, they really do pick it up quickly with an experienced handler. A tougher challenge is when the horse has got bad habits that need reversing!
I would get someone to teach him first and then get them to teach you.

Hmmmm, with respect, I've never really believed that horses are "rubbish" at lunging - they just haven't been taught properly, and/or the handler isn't getting it right. Lunging is like, 99% body language... so if you get it wrong it's not going to work as you are giving the horse the wrong messages and they don't understand what you want them to do. Some horses will work it out but a lot will just go "ahh, sorry... can't do it" .
I used to teach the youngsters to lunge within their first couple of sessions, they really do pick it up quickly with an experienced handler. A tougher challenge is when the horse has got bad habits that need reversing!
I would get someone to teach him first and then get them to teach you.
That's exactly why I need someone, as I said. There's no point in me, a novice "lunger" screwing it up even more.

I used to have lunge lessons - it was good instead of having a ridden lesson. Helped me loads with Storm over the years too.

Reactions: Huggy
I sometimes use two reins and mix that in with longreining.
I might do that next session.

I think with lunging it helps to know what you plan to actually do and where. We have a field to use and I will use the whole area.
I never get bored because I mix it up with poles or cones or patterns.
I may book at lunge lesson next time as I am sure I can learn more.

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
newrider.com