An update on my little ugly duckling - pics!

Midnight_Ashes

Apr 1, 2008
County Durham
59082_440040301960_507951960_5448492_162476_n.jpg

60071_440040296960_507951960_5448491_5496186_n.jpg

60803_440040281960_507951960_5448488_7680645_n.jpg

60955_440040376960_507951960_5448495_339913_n.jpg

57970_440040406960_507951960_5448501_2993639_n.jpg

aw bless..........he is coming on leaps and bounds :happy:

One quick question though, how do you find the rubber bit...........

I have them for both of mine, but they seem to be a complete 'mouthfall'
with the straight rubber bar, especially with Egbert Macmuffin who has
a small mouth.

I now use a fulmer snaffle with Sioned and have changed Bertie to a
'thinner' rubber, but I still am not 'overly happy' with it:wink:

FL - I use a ported bit with little man, though I am looking to change - he is happy enough in it, but I would prefer a french link or similar - but ported seems to fit in better than a straight bar - he has a bit more space to move his tongue about in it

Looking tres cute MA - Im very jealous of your roller - looks like what I have been hunting for as madam HATES with a passion the ones with solid pads on, where did you get it from and would it go smaller than that? (For little man!)

FL - I use a ported bit with little man, though I am looking to change - he is happy enough in it, but I would prefer a french link or similar - but ported seems to fit in better than a straight bar - he has a bit more space to move his tongue about in it

Looking tres cute MA - Im very jealous of your roller - looks like what I have been hunting for as madam HATES with a passion the ones with solid pads on, where did you get it from and would it go smaller than that? (For little man!)

Thanks for that, I am looking around at the moment and have bought
several from E Bay to have a try with, I just feel he can never close
his mouth with the straight bar rubber bit and never looks very 'comfortable'
with it. All the rubber bits seem to be really thick....

I was told by the 'bit person' in the tack shop that the full cheeks are a good way to go with
Youngsters, but she never really told me why ??

Thanks everyone, he spends hours applying that eyeliner ;)

To answer a few questions:

His bit was given to me by a friend, it isn't rubber, its plastic over metal so its solid. It's 3" (or 3.5" I can't remember) with loose rings through it. She had it from a pony she had many moons ago but I've seen them on ebay, I think they're classed as in-hand bits.

My roller is Mark Todd and that is cob/full size (LOL I know). If you look closely you'll see that the girth straps are looped up through the rings!!!!!! It has a 24" girth on too - it will fit him without "modification" when I find an 8" girth :p I already had it from lungeing my big boys so just modified it to fit the wee one :) I think if you got it in pony and bought a small cub girth, it would fit the littlest ones. I can get my arms right round Truffles' tummy so he's only little :p

Full cheeks are often the way forward with youngsters - the cheek helps to reinforce the aid. Basically, we spent all their babyhood teaching them to yield away from pressure, and then under saddle we put a little pressure on the side of the mouth and expect them to turn towards it (yes obviously we use legs too, but the little mouth pressure is still there). The cheek puts a bit of pressure on the opposite side, just like giving a little push to say "go that way please". They're good for anything green under saddle :)

Thats an excellent idea with the roller, hadn't thought of that, I do have
a roller for Sioned, but it was miles too long on Bertie and had been lent too me so didn't want to put extra holes in it, will try it with his girth.........

Wish I could get my arms round Bertie's TUMMY, lol.

thanks for that:wink:

newrider.com