Anatomical bridles

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Ok not looking for recommendations here, I want to understand the headpieces. Most I have seen seem to sweep forwards at the crown, why is this useful? Does it somehow push the sides back more?
Random picture, the bottom right seems to be the only one that gives better ear clearance to my uneducated eye 🤷🏻‍♀️
5805C4E5-C389-4DDB-82CF-27C521E3A014.png

When I see them in use, and also on the one I had for Little Un, the headpiece doesn't sweep forward but is actually cut away for the ears. Quite a few seem to have wider headpieces so that the cutout doesn't mean the pressure from the headpiece is higher due to the cut out making the bearing surface narrower. The cut out has to be in the right place for the horse, it's one of the areas where fit is very important.

I’ve seen very few in use, hence my asking, the few I have seen did seem to come more forward between the ears, but perhaps that’s not the norm

I have this one I think. I had a bit/bridle fitter out and she recommended it (I tried it first and Harvey did seem to like it better). I understood it was to reduce poll pressure by giving a bigger area (but tbf I don't really know much!)

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com