And we’re there...

That's a beautiful picture. Nico is gorgeous, isn't he? Do you think he still has more filling out to do?
He’s lovely, he still has that pony look but I think he’s grown into his face nicely now!
IMG_1352_Original.jpeg
Dec 2023
IMG_8772.png
He’s still growing too, he’s a little bum high and has gone a bit lean again, so will no doubt go out once he’s done going up.

Super successful first night ride for Monkey!
IMG_8780.jpeg
We set out in daylight (with the intention of coming home in the dark), I switched my head torch on at dusk and Monkey crapped himself 🤣 all 4 feet off the floor when the spot appeared in front of him but he landed in the same spot and held it together and very quickly got used to it.
IMG_8776.jpeg
It was a very dark cloudy night in the forest, but he was a champ, really not phased at all. We had a very pleasant hour first listening to the birds settling for the night, then an owl hooting away overhead 🥰

About a mile from home we heard a motorbike, and the asshole was coming flat out through the forest (the strictly no vehicle forest) along the track behind us 🫣 it slowed up a bit when I turned and shone my torch at it, but was still coming, so I spun Monkey round and trotted directly at it. I suspect he caught sight of my polite hiviz, because he spun his bike around and took off away from us! I’m so completely chuffed with Monkey being totally calm about this whole situation because our companion wasn’t nearly so cool about it.

Then on the drove home, every blinking horse had to run to the fence to check us out, and again he really kept it together although he felt a bit jangley about it 🥰 then we left our buddy and did the last bit alone. Totally chilled like nothing was different from normal 🤩
IMG_8781.jpeg

Just so there’s a record here too.
Monkey took the lead last night on a short 20 minute bimble around the block.
IMG_8792.jpeg
It wasn’t dark but I put my head torch on for extra visibility, he only jumped a little bit at it this time 🤣

A nice but meh ride today. He started out fine but as we got up the drove he could see reflections on the flood water and froze, he tried to walk on but couldn’t stop looking at it and froze again and again, I encouraged and cajoled but ended up hopping off and leading him past, knowing that there’s 1/4 mile of flooding to get by.

The rest of the ride he had the handbrake on and froze every time he saw anything through the trees, which on a busy sunny day in the forest was a lot. And with my duff shoulder and elbow I was struggling so I kept it short.

On the way home we saw our neighbours leading their 2 horses a couple of hundred metres ahead, he was eyes on stalks and starting to feel jittery, then as they approached a corner where we’d only get glimpses through the trees, and knowing they are not good with other horses so catching up wasn’t an option I got off again. He was actually great about following at distance, even once we got on the straight he didn’t fuss to try and catch up at all. It’s all good experience right!

Of note he’s dropped weight since I rode last weekend, on his normal girth holes my saddle was slipping as I mounted. Both him and Jess were wild on Thursday night as the flood was coming up and it has rained so much they have gone through 4 rugs each, so hopefully it’s just weather related or he’s having another growth spurt!

A better ride today, went out with our neighbour and he didn’t even look at the flood water, and was cool as a cucumber for pretty much the entire 2 hours, even when horses in paddocks trotted up behind us 🥰 he did have 1 little panic when there was a camper van parked in the forest and a kid sat in a chair behind it, he shot backwards into our neighbour (but didn’t kick out in shock like he did in a previous incident, so that’s an improvement!) but he regained his head and walked by without issue so I think it was just a surprise.

A quick schooling session after work tonight, he was good. Just working on simple bend from the leg, I got some cones so lots of weaving in and out, while maintaining impulsion which is always a challenge for him. Then some work on spirals and back up. He’s progressing slowly.

We had a nice ride after a slightly sticky start today.

He stepped out beautifully initially, but as we got to the naughty ponies on our left, a mobility scooter came out from the alley on the right, just past that and one of the naughty ponies came trotting over behind us, Monkey was holding it all together, but then there was a lady pushing a pram towards us and his bucket was full and the brakes went on. He stopped right next to the pram, and the lady kindly stopped to let him calm down, but I think he then felt she was a safe place and flat refused to leave 🤦‍♀️ he did eventually but it took some persuading!
IMG_8865.jpeg
We went over to High Lodge as it’s normally too busy at the weekends so we generally avoid it but it’s was a nice change. Bearing in mind the terrifying pram, crossing the 60mph A road with lorry’s belting past didn’t even get an ear flick!
IMG_8867.jpegIMG_8873.jpegIMG_8871.jpegIMG_8880.jpeg
A log on that last track got a dirty spin but crossing back over the road a double decker bus was no bother either! Honestly!

I didn’t ride yesterday as it was really gusty, which I don’t mind but the forest has been hit hard by the wet blowy winter and there lots of trees down, widow makers and broken branches hung up in the canopy, glad I didn’t as lots have come down since we were out on Wednesday (All the green bits at ground level are branches that have come down)
IMG_8911.jpeg

We got out early this morning before the wind picked up again. All was calm and I had Monkey tied in the barn eating hay while I pottered about. As I do every time, i put my hat on in the shed behind him, the clip clicks as I do it up, which today was so terrifying that he spun, lost his back end, broke away and tanked off out of the barn with the hay net tangled in his rope 🤦‍♀️ I went and fetched him back and fiddled with the clip a few more times, every time it got the same panic reaction. I’m guessing he took a belt off the electric fence last night, so any clicking will be an issue for a few weeks now 😣

Anyway, although now wired we managed a reasonably pleasant couple of hours out in the sun.
IMG_8895.jpegIMG_8898.jpegIMG_8899.jpegIMG_8901.jpegIMG_8903.jpegIMG_8904.jpegIMG_8908.jpeg
IMG_8910.jpeg
IMG_8913.jpeg

I've been trying to get Monkey to jump for a while, I haven't tried very hard but I aim him at logs we find in the forest, he's very sweet about them because obviously I misjudge the situation, if they are too big to trot over he slams the breaks on and steps over them 🤣 I also tried a couple of times with him on the lunge at home, loose poles are simply meant to be kicked around though, sometimes he can kick the same pole with all 4 different feet as it flies across the field!

But last night I duly tried again at home, this time I didn't mess about with trot, I put him at it in canter and he flew the tiny 30cm vertical I'd set up. I think I am just going to have to go and pick up a few straw bales to get him to understand jumping is ok! Then get my big girl pants on and ride him like a mean it!

I wasn’t going to ride yesterday, but getting off work just 20 minutes early meant I could, so I did!

Jess really wanted to come out at the weekend with us, but I planned to go further than she could so I left her, so last night when we only had time for a short one anyway felt like a good opportunity to bring her along.

So we had a nice 20 minutes of walk and trot, he’s getting the hang of leading now!
IMG_8922.jpegIMG_8923.jpeg
She’s so happy to be getting out 🥰 and so far, staying sound with it ***frantically touches wood***, long may it last 🤞

• Love
Reactions: Huggy and Bodshi
Went for an early ride this morning, the sun was shining and it was beautiful 😍 Monkey was a bit wired, the first 3/4 mile was soft snorts all the way and eyes on stalks, but once we could get moving he settled right down
IMG_8927.jpeg
IMG_8931.jpegIMG_8932.jpeg
Canter was a bit hard work today, he decided he didn’t want to pick up left lead when asked, so we did a lot of starting and restarting! But, he did a lovely little log jump today 🥰 one he normally trots, but the lunge session in the week obviously stuck and with lots of leg and a ‘hup’ he did a fabulous little pop over it 🤩
IMG_8940.jpeg
Then we worked on relaxation, dropping his head and moving out, and he did well, so well that we came home on the buckle! 🤩 Not something I normally do with him as those 180s can come out of nowhere and on the buckle I have no hope of preventing them!

I’m bored of riding this same bit of forest, but the river is still very flooded which has pushed the highland cows up beside the bridge - likely to much for his brain today. South of the main road is high lodge, which is insanely busy on a sunny day as they have walking tracks, mountain bike courses and dozens of kids play areas, so also best avoided! I’m working up courage to go out to the west, it involves the high street which can be chaotic, so we have only done it on very quiet days! I’d better get him back out in the trailer!
IMG_8938.jpeg

Went for an early ride this morning, the sun was shining and it was beautiful 😍 Monkey was a bit wired, the first 3/4 mile was soft snorts all the way and eyes on stalks, but once we could get moving he settled right down
View attachment 121912
View attachment 121913View attachment 121914
Canter was a bit hard work today, he decided he didn’t want to pick up left lead when asked, so we did a lot of starting and restarting! But, he did a lovely little log jump today 🥰 one he normally trots, but the lunge session in the week obviously stuck and with lots of leg and a ‘hup’ he did a fabulous little pop over it 🤩
View attachment 121917
Then we worked on relaxation, dropping his head and moving out, and he did well, so well that we came home on the buckle! 🤩 Not something I normally do with him as those 180s can come out of nowhere and on the buckle I have no hope of preventing them!

I’m bored of riding this same bit of forest, but the river is still very flooded which has pushed the highland cows up beside the bridge - likely to much for his brain today. South of the main road is high lodge, which is insanely busy on a sunny day as they have walking tracks, mountain bike courses and dozens of kids play areas, so also best avoided! I’m working up courage to go out to the west, it involves the high street which can be chaotic, so we have only done it on very quiet days! I’d better get him back out in the trailer!
View attachment 121915
Lovely pics!

Reactions: Jessey
I lunged monkey Tuesday night, he was all excited to jump again, and he did a tidy job but he quickly settled and did everything asked, nice transitions, lovely energetic turns, popped a few 30cm jumps, then some backing, unwinding and turns on the fore and haunches. The whole session was 10 minutes, I didn’t do any more as it just becomes nagging at that point!

We’re meeting a friend today, the forecast threatens some showers but I’m hoping they hold off 🤞

Reactions: Huggy
We had 3 dry hours 😋 💪

Monkey was wired going out, pinging at all sorts, you know, a leaf facing the wrong way, a horse eating twig! So when we got to the field of highland cows he froze, and didn’t know what to do with himself but eventually managed to creep past them unscathed 🤣
IMG_8958.jpeg
Then we met our friend and had a lovely couple of hours catching up, coming home along the other side of the cows field, no fuss as they were the far side. Then monkey had to give my friends horse a lead over the level crossing with his grown up head on 🤩👌
IMG_8962.jpegIMG_8964.jpeg
We then left our friends and go back past the cows again, only slowing to a crawl this time even though they were close, we stopped and looked back for a picture!
IMG_8965.jpeg

IMG_8967.jpeg

Reactions: Huggy
Oh your hacking! I would be cantering everywhere....
You could! When I moved from an area where you’d perhaps get 1 or 2 chances for a canter on a hacking route, I found it near impossible not to canter everywhere! Monkey was too wired for any cantering with our friends, when I cantered on the way home he put in a dirty spook at a shiny bush and nearly had me!

A really corking, all be it short ride tonight of just over an hour. As we got into the forest our neighbours were riding home, we stopped and chatted then carried on our way with zero drama which I was very pleased with.
IMG_8968.jpegIMG_8970.jpeg
I went out with no destination in mind, so we went to the jumping place in the forest, Monkey has lost his enthusiasm from earlier in the week and proved he can in fact trot over a 40cm diameter log! 🤣
IMG_8972.jpeg
IMG_8973.jpegWe then headed up a wide sandy track away from home at a very slow canter that I had to work very hard for, before turning onto a little windy track (towards home) where he found the go-go juice and we had some proper Welsh trot and a couple of stolen canters 🤣

Then turned away from home again and he was miffed 🤣 took a long stoney track and I realised that although I always aim him for the verge he is now choosing to stomp right down the middle of them, so his feet are obviously really good even after all the wet weather.
IMG_8974.jpeg
He kept the pep in his step and we had lots of fun on the way home, lots of whizzy trot. There was a family on bikes and he stood like a rock while they passed, then without me asking (or even ready 🤣) he leapt into trot and whizzed along, I was laughing so much we barely made a couple of the 90 degree turns through the trees 🤣 and I had to steady him up before the slippy tight turns, I’ll have to try and video it one day, he loves that stretch!

Then back onto the drove for the last 3/4 mile with the setting sun 🥰
IMG_8977.jpeg

Off to meet our friends again tomorrow, and planning to do a route where I know he’ll find a couple of things really challenging, but I think in company it will be good experience for him.

newrider.com