Angel has colic

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
Had a call from the yard this morning to say Angel was colicking and could I get a vet/myself up there quick. Angel was not in a good way, trying to get down and very fast breathing. Vet says it's a big impaction and we drenched her (which was an interesting experience for me - not in a good way) and she seems more herself now but hasn't done the massive poo that will make me happy and isn't drinking much either. Arrrgh. I'm going up again to check on her before bedtime but am worried about tonight. I've spoken to the vet who doesn't think she needs hospitalising but I am still concerned. I guess positive vibes might help!

Ohhh lots of positive vibes for you both. Really hope she's okay. It's a very distressing condition, our J had it twice, not nice. Loads of good thoughts, hope when you go check her she's improving.

Reactions: squidsin
Oh dear, so sorry to read this - always very distressing and worrying when they colic even slightly, let alone when a large impaction is suspected. Vets are generally pretty good at accurate prognosis on colic, as my own vet said, they see it so often they do get a good idea when to panic and when to step back and wait. Huge healing vibes for a massive poos before bedtime so you can relax a little. :( x

Sorry to read this, I am sure you are worried sick. Fingers crossed for a big poop. Sending lots of healing vibes for Angel and hugs for you.

I'm worried sick about tonight. Just about to schlep up for one last check - I feel utterly exhausted and stressed. If there IS anything wrong now, I think I'll just collapse!

Soothing, poo producing vibes coming angel's way :) I hope she's looking better when you see her shortly xx I've spent all to many nights going and checking every few hours for progress, its so scary.

Oh dear goodness! whatever next for you you poor thing:(
My OH tells me of his days in the army when he used to have to stay up all night loose lunging the horse till the "gas & poop" moved:(
So wish you a good visit this evening and healing vibes xxx

If you're worried get the vet back out, it's worth it for your own peace of mind. I hope she's looking a lot better now though & you can both get a quiet night x

Just been up to check and she seemed pretty perky and has done loads of poos and had a little bit of water. Fingers crossed she's on the up.

I wonder if the colic is because she guzzles her hay? She can scoff down a large haynet in under an hour. She has been getting through two big haynets a night and I did think she was looking a bit bloated. Could it be she's not chewing it properly? Could this cause colic? I'm going to reduce her hay, soak it and put it in a small-holed net from now on.

I wouldn't suddenly reduce her hay, but I'd certainly try putting it in a small holed net & soaking it is a good idea too. I'm so relieved she's looking better & has had a drink & produced lots of poo :) . Hopefully now you'll be able to relax & get some sleep.

Glad she is looking better!

I double net ales haynets to slow him down as he's a piggy.

So pleased she is doing better!
It so so scary when they colic. I know when sox has had colic pretty much life stands still until he is sorted. I have been at the yard all hours of the night. Including driving back up there at midnight to see if he was back to his normal self or the vet needed to come back out.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com