Annie went weird today...legs

K

Kate&TheHerd

Annie went weird today...reaction to pig oil and sulphur??

Well I bought annie in from the field today, she was lagging a bit behind. Unusual I thought but she seemed ok otherwise. Took her into the stable and i asked to lift her front foot so i could pick out. She lifted it up but did not bend it back, instead stretched it forward. it was both front feet, not really wanting to move them. It was really weird and starting to get worried i got help. I wondered whether to call vets and laminitus did cross my mind, but i know of an extremely knowledgable man at the local rs. been around horses for years and knows a lot. i know he is not a vet and i did not rule out calling them, but i thought he would know. so i got him up. he said it was not laminitus, he has a couple down there now with it, and he looked at her and said it wasnt at all. she was completley weight bearing on all feet and he said it was not laminitus.

she wouldnt let him really go near the legs. i took her out and she walked up and trotted up fine no problem at all. i rode her yesterday too. he said laminitus doesnt just disappear within an hour so still, cant be that. he said her fetlocks all looked a bit swollen, which they were and asked if i had put anything on them recently. yes i had, pig oil and sulphur for her mites. i put that on on friday. i have been putting it on her legs once a week, for three weeks now. he believes it is this that caused the problem but to of course keep an eye on her. i just thought i would post on here to see if anyones had any other experiences with this. she is pink skinned so quite sensative so we think shes just reacted bad to it. poor annie :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told not to use the PO in summer, as on skin it can burn with the sun, especially if pink skinned.

I only use it in the summer.

Oh dear....thanks for the link at least I know it is that. I have not washed it off or anything, the man that came to see annie said its too late now. Also she hardly lets me touch them :eek: We have had a bit of rain around recently, so hopefully its washed it off. poor girl i feel so bad. it must have been because of all that sun we have had recently. maybe i will re use in winter, but in summer, we will have to try something else.

Heres where I started all this PO&S stuff

http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191324

Last edited by a moderator:
newrider.com