Annual Injection..

0dd

May 27, 2006
www.freewebs.com
I know you're always supposed to have the annual injection before the year's up, but do you know how much before it can be?

My gelding's not due til August but I would like the vet to have a look at a cut that has healed up nearly now but is still slightly swollen.

What do you think?

Try to get it done before the years up because if you run too far over you have to start again with one then one a couple of weeks later etc.

oh I know that but I mean how much before he is due is it ok to have it?

'cause I'd like the vet to check his leg over, etc in a few weeks if it still looks odd. He is 100% sound though, the cut area just still looks swollen.

I think you should be ok with that.

I got one of my horses vaccs done at the end of April with the others but he wasn't due until the end of June. Vet said it was fine.

the problem with doing it too early is

a) the existing immunity level is still quite high (it decreases with time on this type of vaccination, hence the annual updates).

You'd have to ask your vet to be sure, but that may increase the chance of an adverse reaction ?

b) the next year will run from *this* date, not from the August date. i.e. you are gradually moving the annual injection sooner and sooner. That in itself is not a big issue (if the reaction thing is not an issue). But effectively you are paying for a 12 month cover, and only getting 9-10 months of it. You'd have to weight that up vs the extra call-out charge I guess !

You will not hurt him one bit and it sounds very wise on your part to save that extra vet call...FYI..I vaccinate 2x's a year and have for many years (except Tetnus) and worm every other month due to the hauling and "in training" horse coming and going.

demonbug

don't forget the vaccination used might be slightly different this side of the water ?

The yearly one done here is often a joint flu and tetenus.... If you don't have the flu one done within the year, you have to start over - so it is one where timing is key.

newrider.com