Another day, another viewing... (and another NR meet!)

Yes it is a bit far really, plus she the horse doesn't hack alone (I think thats what it said - I've seen so many I forget which is which!)

Quotes from the advert: "Ride/drive. Good to do in all ways. Hacks out alone and in company. 100% on the road, never spooky."

"She is very forgiving and will give confidence to any rider. She is never silly or strong."

"Hacking is Kerry's strong point, nothing phases her."

"She is the same on her own or in company."

I know she might be a few hours away but she sounds ideal - at least worth a phone call? I scoured the net for a while last night and this is the only one I found that seems to tick your boxes. And the advert is huge which generally indicates the owner wants the horse to go to the right home so is less likely to spin you a line.

Good luck :)

Have to agree with Dollysmum, she sounds ideal, few hours drive isn't that far....

Also depending where she is in Leicestershire and where u r in Cambridge it could only be 1hr an 45mins.....I would be def ringing the owner, she looks and sounds lovely!

Last edited:
Please WALK AWAY FROM THIS PONY.
This I have a more suitable horse for you is a sales ploy that I have heard this dealer use before.
I bought a pony 18 months ago from a very reputable well renoun yard competition and sales. I tried the pony twice, it was perfect. We hacked out, we went in the schooling area. Everything was perfect. I agreed a price vet saw her and went to collect. She loaded ok. With 6 hours of being home she turned into a witch. Rearing, buggering off, dangerous on the ground and to drive SCARY. Called the yard, not their fault they said. Yes I could return pony to sell. Sales livery £150pw. To cut a long story short I enentually got in touch with the owner (pony was on sales livery) and they took her back. I didnt get bloods taken at the begining, but I am certain if they had been tested they would have come back as drugged. It cost me my confidence.

I have always lusted after SafeCobs horses and have heard good reports of them, so I am a bit disappointed. I'm not an expert but I do have to agree with the others though. I wouldn't like a horse that didn't stand while I sorted myself out but I don't think it is a worrying sign in itself. The motorbike wouldn't bother me.
But the underfeeding and the bit really worry me. Whatever the reason for the horse being underfed it means you don't get a true picture of what he'd be like when up to weight. And whether the dealer likes snaffles or not, you need to see how the horse goes in a snaffle, rather than in a stronger bit (and I wikipedia'd an American gag - it sounds very strong to me!).
Good luck with the search.

Hi- my horse Beatrice (Bea) came from Lia- from her not-so-safecobs site Hackinghorses.com, like Jane's horse Ziggy. She was in an American gag when I tried her, and Lia told me that she used them on cobs because it stops them leaning. I felt this was a dodgy reason, and have never ridden Bea in it since. I totally agree about it being a very unsuitable bit for a novice/nervous rider to use, and I would also be concerned about a horse spooking and being rewarded with a sharp jab in the roof of its mouth, which is what I think this bit does. Bea has been fine in a snaffle since then, I use a hanging cheek which exerts a little poll pressure when needed. Bea has been brilliant- my horse of a lifetime! - she wouldn't pick her feet up, which Lia was straight about, but she does now :smile: it took a while and lots of treats but now she positively loves to see the hoof pick. Bea was underweight when I bought her too. :frown:
He may turn out to be fine, but definitely worth trying him again- but not easy if you don't live nearby... Good luck in your quest whatever happens!!

I would walk away from this one, if you are nervous you need something that can help you, not something that needs your help. The lack of feed and poor condition raise concerns, let alone the American gag.

There are a large number of chilled cobs out there, so please don't settle for something that is second best for your needs. I've done this once before and it caused SUCH heartache!

This may sound like a daft thing to say but have you considered getting in touch with a reputable gypsy cob breeder? The TGCA could provide you a list of breeders that breed good quality animals?

I am more of a lurker than a poster these days but just to put my tuppence into the pot.

Firstly walk away from this one. Your negatives list is longer than your positives list. When you find the one you will have far more positives than negatives and will not have to ask if you should buy it.

Secondly last year I sold my completely safe cob to a very nervous rider. She gives me wonderful updates on how they hack together in the woods and she has cantered for the first time out on a hack in years. There are good private sellers out there but I would agree they can be hard to find.

Thirdly do you specifically want a cob? When I horse hunt I look for personality/ability/safeness first and worry about looks/body shape secondly.

Lastly the cob I talk about above was bought in Ireland (as was my connie and my current Irish sport horse) My OH who can’t ride could hack him down a main a road. I used a horse finder service (she used to be on this forum). You have 2 choices with her. Firstly you can book very cheap Ryan air flights to Dublin (my friends just went for a day, first flight out and last flight back, cost £16 per person) she will then take you round a short list of suitable horses ( she doesn’t own them but she has reputable dealers/private homes she regularly deals with) if and when you decide she then arranges the vetting and the transport to the UK (£250-£350 approximately)

The second option is to buy unseen, which isn’t her first choice but I know 2 people who have done this and been very happy with their horses.

If you want her details let me know by pm, I know 12 horses and ponies who she has found and everyone is delighted (and they have all been cheaper than the UK equivalent as they are the same horses that get shipped to the dealers here, they keep them a couple of weeks, tidy them up and sell them on for a lot more)

whatever you decide, good luck:smile:

I liked Lia when I went to her with a friend. She warned my friend off the horse she thought she wanted and got her to try another one she thought would fit the bill. She's very keen to match rider with horse and if she honestly thought there wasn;t going to be a likelyhood of a match then she would say so- it's in her best interests to do so given the market she aims at :wink:

So yes, I'd be quick to point out all the negatives mentioned by previous posters too however.....

Lia does seem to like her American gags. She seemed to train many of them in that particular bit. Robbie was in that bit too and my friend is a fan of a french link so that's what she swapped him to straight away.

I must admit if I hadn't of met Lia on a number of occasions and been impressed then I be shouting from the rooftops that this seems wrong. This horse is unfinished and she's taking a big risk showing it to you. She must be sure of his temprement and willingness to consider doing this.

The key thing for me though is to repeat what Mary Poppins quite rightly said, if he was the one for you you'd know it and want to overcome the fact he hadn't completed his training. It doesn't come across in your thread that this is the case. For that reason on it's own I'd suggest the search should continue.

I liked Lia when I went to her with a friend. She warned my friend off the horse she thought she wanted and got her to try another one she thought would fit the bill. She's very keen to match rider with horse and if she honestly thought there wasn;t going to be a likelyhood of a match then she would say so- it's in her best interests to do so given the market she aims at :wink:

Sorry, but this is becoming a theme. This lady is a dealer, and very good at it. Its a neat trick.

Maybe she is on the level, I dont know, but I have sirens going off in my ears.

LWTB- Please please dont take any of theseposts as personal against you. You did brilliantly. Id not be happy by an ansti horse on the road. You coped and enjoyed. RESPECT.
All I personally care about is that you buy a great pony that suits your needs perfectly and you have a happy future together. Once bitten twice shy. My bite was pretty nasty.

GOOD LUCK.

Yeah I appreciate that, but having told my friend the first time that she had nothing to suit and then this next time was when my friend rang again a few months later when the webby was updated with something else she liked the look of so I don't think it's just a sales ploy to come across as genuine. A sales ploy like that would only work when there was another horses there she wanted to sell instead.

Great to be sceptical though. A frame of mind I wholeheartedly approve of :happy:

I agree with JC here, I dont think its a sales ploy, its that once you describe what you want, and that 'x' looks like that thing, she knows the horses well enough to be able to match the two of you, that may not always be the one you called about. If I read it right LWTB was after the more expensive horse, but tried a cheaper one... I agree though, good to be wary:happy:

I am completely inexperienced so cant offer any advice on that front, but what I would say is that in comparison to your recent viewings this seemed really POSITIVE! :dance:

It is amazing that you felt comfortable and secure enough to w/t/c on him, and sure the whole psychology of it has a lot to do with it, but it doesn't take away from the fact that you actually did it (although I too find it all very interesting FM :smile:) safe cob, or not safe cob. Besides, you even knew he wasnt a fully trained 'safe cob'.

I would go back and have another look myself. Just for peace of mind if nothing else.

I think the trip to Ireland is something to consider for your future hunt if you feel you have exhausted all options, I would also seriously consider tapping KV as a resource (hope you don't mind KV :smile:). Another option is if you see any horse that looks like it would tick your boxes, but isn't close to you, to ask on here if someone will view them for you and report back? NR's are dotted across the country, and I am sure people would love to help you out if they could...plus I am pretty sure we wouldn't mind some make believe horse shopping, we all know we spend most of our time on here and Horsemart! :giggle:

I liked the way he stood with a new rider in a scary situation and didn't panic or really do anything. He may not be trained yet but he certainly seems disposed towards bomb proof.

What about these..

LAKE VIEW LAD

£ 3500

Gelding
7 years
13hh - 13.3hh

13.3/14hh although passported at 13.2hh, Irish bay geliding 7yo. This super little pony is looking for a pony club type home where he can teach a little child everything there is too know and give them confidence. He is not a kick along just a kind sweet little pony wanting to please his rider. He loves fuss and going out to competitions etc. He is always snaffled mouth with a cavesson noseband and is 100% reliable in every situation. Regularly hacks down the main road alone or in company etc. Very cheap to keep only has front shoes (could easily go barefoot) lives on minimal food and can live out. If you feel you could give Paddy a loving permanent home feel free to ring me for any further questions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1OnxM2TC3c&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Olivia Futter
Email 01493 384254 07508810766

Norfolk

OR

5.3 Cob Mare

£ 3000

Mare
5 years
15hh - 15.3hh

Safe sane and sensible. 15.3 cob mare, 100% bombproof. 5 years old. Been in the same home since she was 6 weeks old. Done a bit of everything. Easy to do in every way. Only for sale as owner is giving up!.

samantha brooker
Email 07780966930

Norfolk

This one looks lovely from the pics, she is on www.horsedates.co.uk

And this..

14HH Bay Gelding For sale

£ £1800

Gelding
6 years
14hh - 14.3hh

This 6yr old 14HH pony has a huge jump, has done PC rally and jumping lessons, clear round, placed every outing walk trot dressage. Forward going lovely to hack will go first or last, good on the road in company,will hack alone. 100% clip, farrier, although barefoot. No small jockey to futher his career. Good looking enough for working hunter, Or would be excellant for small adult for Le Trec, long distance rides, long stride and attitude like small horse. A pony who loves his work,looking for good teenager/mother share. Working well in the school, nice paces. Would affiliate as very bold but not strong.£1800 ONO Some tack and rugs available.

G. White
Email 01842 827111 07776181035

Norfolk

newrider.com