Another instalment in the Great Mentoree Challenge

Virago

Nov 8, 2006
Suffolk
I went to see Cazrider and Sennie today for another mentoring session. Sennie is settling in to his lovely new home and was feeling quite relaxed. My task for today was to take apart, clean and re-assemble his bridle. This was the first time I'd done that so it was quite a challenge. But, with Cazrider's excellent tuition, I managed it, with only a bit of help to ensure that poor Sennie didn't end up with his noseband over his ears or his cheek pieces under his chin! :)

I also learnt about various types of bit, groomed Sennie and had a little ride down to his field (trotting bareback for the first time!) No piccies from today I'm afraid but will try and get some more next time.

I can't tell you how much fun this is for me! :) AND Cazrider gave me some delicious plums from her garden. You can't ask for more on a sunny Sunday afternoon!

Last edited:
What a great day! I enjoy cleaning tack and remembered the details from my teans but would struggle with a double bridle!

It was lovely to see Virago again, and Sennie always enjoys the pampering. She is now an expert at putting together a bridle, plus I get my bridle cleaned.:)

I must say, there's nothing much nicer than gossing about your horse while leaning over a 5 bar gate watching the rabbits jumping up and down on a warm evening (what we did once we'd turned Sen back out).:D

I rode Logic

I blush with the fulsomeness of your praise, CR, but I still can't make sense of a head collar!! :rolleyes:

That is so me! Since my last post re the scary bridle front I have now learnt how to undo/reassemble a bridle but I still get in a tiswas with headcollars - why??

My big mentoree news is that Rarah let me go on a hack with Logic on Friday.:D:D So I groomed, tacked up, hacked out, untacked and turned out. (and 'broke' headcollar AGAIN! - Rarah's friend had to mend it)

The hack was brill - I went with one of Rarah's friends from her yard and we went to the woods. Now I've been with my RS on a hack to these woods before but this was nothing like that - I've never had to lie flat on a horse to fit under a tree branch, been wacked around the face with hawthorn (it stung) and ripped my jods whilst cantering too close to a tree. I had soooo much fun and Logic was lovely.

Big Thanks go to Rarah to trusting me with her beautiful Logic and teaching me so much.

Cazrider gave me some delicious plums from her garden. You can't ask for more on a sunny Sunday afternoon!

*mental note - ask Est if she has any fruit trees in her garden....* :p

Ooh i've not tried the dismantling of a bridle yet - might be next on the agenda!. Although i do think we need some photos! :p

I think i'm ok with head collers now although the quick release knot still gets me sometimes! Est also now entrusts me with making Merricks tea (v.important job!):D.

LOL Mistertron :D
Don't panic but Merrick's tea now has an extra ingredient :eek: That's FOUR supplements to remember, and a bridle to dismantle! Oh no... :p

ETA I have an apple tree and a plum tree but they're still growing, you'll have to be my mentoree for another few years before I can supply your 5-a-day :rolleyes: :D

just to add i anyone wants a mentor in the colchester, essex area i'd be happy to help (especially if it means i can get bridles cleaned lol:p) no really, no probs. can help with stable management/horse ownership/handling and possibly riding depending on size

newrider.com