Another one in the naughty corner!!!

dancing lucy

May 23, 2008
stalybridge
On our yard all the horses are in one really big field during the day they break up into their own little groups throughout the day but at teatime they all assemble near the gate waiting for their owners. Some people arrive at 3pm for theirs but as I work Im always there about 4.30 and my crew know that so dont bother with the gate much before that time there are usually about 10 of them to come in when I get there (I do my 3 and my friends 2 due to our work committments). My heavy cob has always stood at the gate when he sees or hears me and will move to the side if asked but just recently some of the people have been complaining about him being pushy and keep letting him out of the field and putting in his stable, so of course he likes this as there is a haynet in there so Im sure he does it all the more. Last week one of the women has 3 horses went in the field and pushed my boy behind the gate while she let her 3 run through he then decides hes going to put his ears back and have bite of one of them as they go but woman puts her hand up to stop him and he gets her hand. Now I was very sorry and went and apologised right away (I had asked her to wait 5 minutes while I finished getting girls stables ready) I gave her wipes and said she should get tetanus if not covered and she was okay with this but next day Snoopy was the horse from hell with everyone. Dont know how to solve this problem horses are herd animals, when just my lot left in they still come out in the same order with the leader always first the others stand back to go in order.

Funny how I take it personal when all calling my horse I know its daft but I know he doesnt normally bite or kick people I let all my 4 grandsons in the stable with him and I wouldnt do that if I thought he would bite them.
All I have said to people is to let him in if they are worried his stable is always ready for him

I feel your pain. Horses that never ever normally bite can bite when they're upset - our Joe once bit somebody when we were on a yard, and he'd NEVER EVER bite my nephew or my old Dad (who was 84 last year) - but if provoked or upset about something (I won't bore you with the details )

I think the woman was a bit daft tbh putting her hand out in that situation, he's not her horse, how did she know what he was going to do?
Hopefully it won't happen again, ie, he won't be placed in that situation?

newrider.com