Another pony possibility.....

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
I like the look of this girlie...

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/112066678/riden-fell-mare.html

But I am worried about how high she is jumping with an adult on board at only 4. Not that this is too high as a 1 off but because of the risk that she has just done too much jumping too high, too young. At that age I'd just be popping over logs and cross poles! Nothing bigger till 5.

She is also outside my budget but prices are a guide, right?!

(Not sure why she is 3 times the price of other similar fells I have seen - but the others I like are a little too small for me.)

That's a lot for a 4yr old ? I too would want to know how long she has been jumping that height for...

She looks nice though !

People do overdo youngsters, it's awful. I would say definitely just a guide, a price for people who are silly and want to show jump!

Reactions: Gimp
She is lovely. I like her more than the one in your other thread. Fells are not really "my type" but she could definitely bring me round!

It's hard to tell how big that jump is from the angle etc but I wouldn't put it at more than 90cm, it could even be smaller than that and look bigger because she is doing such a beautiful jump over it! It looks like a fairly decent-sized jump for a 4-year-old but not what I would consider to be excessive, assuming of course that she isn't being pounded over them several times a week! It depends how long she's been jumping, how often she jumps, the height she is usually training over and so on - you really can't guess from one photo what her usual workload is. If you are interested in her I would phone and discuss her jumping with the owner and find out what she actually does. You never know, they may have popped her over a bigger one than usual to look good for the advert!

I knew a Fell mare who was pretty feisty when ridden, they can make pretty good push button ponies in the right hands. Probably would be really good in a jump off I think after a jumping comp.
Pretty horses, like owning a mini Fresian, I prefer Dales size wise that is, but after experiencing one (Dales) who used to chase my horse ragged around the field, it's put my off those a bit.

I rang the owner. They breed for showing and she is a show prospect - hence the price. We have no interest in showing. But they say she is also a lovely temperament, very sane and sensible and able to adapt to her rider. Steady for beginners, forward for experienced riders. Mind you they said that about the nutty grey pony too, who felt like a rocket underneath me! One false move and I was going into orbit!! I think she's worth a look although she is now turned away for the winter.

I rang the owner. They breed for showing and she is a show prospect - hence the price. We have no interest in showing. But they say she is also a lovely temperament, very sane and sensible and able to adapt to her rider. Steady for beginners, forward for experienced riders. Mind you they said that about the nutty grey pony too, who felt like a rocket underneath me! One false move and I was going into orbit!! I think she's worth a look although she is now turned away for the winter.
Def worth a look but why would you turn away if you are trying to sell? Surely makes more sense to keep in ridden work? (I am very suspicious of ALL sellers and generally suspect foul play until proved otherwise!)

Good question! My assumption was that she was advertised earlier in the year but did not sell so they will try again in Spring. As far as I can tell she's only on preloved and not being actively marketed. They said all their ridden ponies are now turned away. But worth being wary. I did tell her that I was happy to come and see her initially just in a field but would not buy unless she was back in work so could be trialled properly. She said she could do that for me as she's not the sort who needs regular work. So with a week's notice she could be ready for trialling again.

I have to say that even though I am not a showing type I do love the splendid conformation and attitude of show ponies, and that filly is SOOOO beautiful you might even be tempted to whip her along to a local show just for a look see....

Reactions: KP nut and Ruskii
I do love the look of her. And if she did not sell then they may be open to cheeky offers to get her off their feed bill.....

Reactions: Ruskii
Just spoke to the owner: A yard that buys and sells ponies. She said he is lovely to ride and very sweet and friendly. But has no manners. He never shows any aggression or defensive tendencies. He has just been allowed to get away with murder by his previous owner who lacked the experience to educate him from the ground. Also he has been in 24/7 for a few months as the yard he was on did not allow ANY winter turn out (WTF????) and was getting increasingly hard to handle from the ground. So owner got rid to this yard who have only had him a few days but say he has settled really quickly once being allowed out most of the time. In my experience horses can learn boundaries and manners almost instantly! But not sure the children will feel very safe with a bargey pony who doesn't lead very well and walks through people??!!

Just spoke to the owner: A yard that buys and sells ponies. She said he is lovely to ride and very sweet and friendly. But has no manners. He never shows any aggression or defensive tendencies. He has just been allowed to get away with murder by his previous owner who lacked the experience to educate him from the ground. Also he has been in 24/7 for a few months as the yard he was on did not allow ANY winter turn out (WTF????) and was getting increasingly hard to handle from the ground. So owner got rid to this yard who have only had him a few days but say he has settled really quickly once being allowed out most of the time. In my experience horses can learn boundaries and manners almost instantly! But not sure the children will feel very safe with a bargey pony who doesn't lead very well and walks through people??!!

I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.....there is a lot of dealer speak in there.....and a lot of rather large porkies, or at best being creative with the true facts of why it is with them. But I am another cynic when it comes to buying from either dealers or private buyers. This one screams at me that nobody wanted to buy it for obvious reasons and it has now been offloaded to the dealer's yard.

What Cortrasna said.

I find it hard to believe there is a yard with NO winter turnout ? (Really ??) and there is lots of dealer speak going on and I too think he's been offloaded to the dealers.

I wouldn't go near it I'm afraid.

Reactions: KP nut
Awww but he's so cute. Butter wouldn't melt......
The yard in question has a good reputation locally. But maybe they just get lots of friends and family writing reviews?
But even just at my own yard there were basically sweet ponies with clueless owners who end up with no manners. Unless there is a pain/fear/resentment issue going on they seem pretty easy to sort out? But too much of a risk considering I am buying for my kids I guess.

It's a tough one, as they could just be being 100% honest, which is a good thing, and yes, manners could be sorted out fairly simply with firm and consistent handling. OR they are presenting you with the best possible version of events and he's actually a dangerous little sh*t. Not worth the risk, in my opinion, there are affordable ponies with none of these issues out there.

Reactions: KP nut
Thanks for replies..... very helpful. I agree not worth the risk.....

So at the moment I am still considering the 2 fell ponies: Mr Pipe & Slippers and the showing/jumping pony. Both 4. Will go and have a look next week sometime....

I think you need to have a long think about what you want. There is a vast difference ( and not just in price) between a well bred show quality mare that is ready to do novice native workers and a bolshy pony of unknown breeding. I feel the former would be wasting your money if you have no interest in the native pony showing market. Pay for what you are going to appreciate. If you really like the native types look at some smaller dales, my 4yo is 13.3 on tiptoes and so of little value in the show world although he has great conformation and saintly temperament

If you are looking for a pony for your children, why don't you look at something older that they can get on and enjoy straight away? A 4 year old is always going to be a risk - personally I would go for the safer option of a 'been there, done that' pony.

newrider.com