Another reason to go barefoot

hdonna

Aug 22, 2008
bucks
My children have never ridden in the snow as this is their first winter owning horses.

I must also say both my horses are trimmed by an excellent barefoot trimmer and we do not have any problems with snow balls in feet. So another reason to go barefoot

Lucinda riding Dan
FEB09063.jpg

Jake riding Peaches
FEB09057.jpg

Lovely piccies :) I used to ride my first pony in the snow all the time - he would jump drifts (I grew up in the Cotswolds and we had lots of snow every year) :D He was 'barefoot' - well, back in the 80s it was just called not needing shoes (he was a Sec A and I rode him a lot on roads/stony tracks, hunted, competed ....) :p Much easier for him to get grip on snow and ice.

Just turned my herd out in the field for the first time in 12 days - and I noticed straightaway that Ben was sliding around a lot less (and not tearing up the field). He went barefoot 11 days ago and is now happy to gallop/buck around the field, although still a bit footy on the yard. He doesn't need to wear his overreach boots either - he used to pull shoes off in the field sometimes.

Ali xx

ps I love Lucinda's purple jods and pink coat :)

newrider.com