Another run in with the grumpy man deliberately spooking horse

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
I posted back in may about a horrible old man who deliberately spooked my horse while out hacking. He shouted at me that I shouldn’t be riding there (everyone has the right to walk dogs/ride horses whatever there) and that I needed to clean up after him (my horse hadn’t left a mess and never does).

Realised it was the man at the bottom of the road. Since then I have made every effort to smile and then and thank them when they move. Even tho they feel they should walk up the middle of the road and not let cars past.

Tonight I was hacking down past his house. There is a small garden and the road is a single carriageway. He saw me come down. He waited until we were parallel so perhaps 5 meters away and in a straight line. He then started his lawnmower. Robin jumped and took a couple of steps back and generally got quite a fright. Never mind I think, non horsey people don’t know what will spook a horse. Ok so he got a big fright but never mind, these things happen even tho it was clear by the timing and him look ag us that it was deliberate. I gave him a second to have a look and asked him to walk on again. He was worried and he bananed past. Old man saw what was happening and put his head down and quickly and determinedly stomped towards us. Walking far too fast to be simply cutting the grass and not actually looking where he was going.

He knew exactly what he was doing. And stopped again once we were past. Next time I will be phoning the police. There was a lot of clattering feet but he had mower on so he may not have heard but he knew what was happening. Occasionally hacking people inadvertently spook horses. That’s life, we can cope with it and even non horsey folk realise there is an issue and try to apologise or rectify and I always thanks them hugely and also apologise.

I’m not sure what his aim is. I presume to stop me riding.

Since you know where he lives I'd be tempted to write an extremely polite sugary sweet letter to him saying that your absolutely certain sure that such a lovely considerate man clearly doesn't understand that horses can be spooked by things and so you thought it would be best to explain to him that things like sudden loud noises, flappy things etc are seen as dangers by even extremely well trained horses such as police horses can be upset by them. That you hope that now you've explained all of this to him there'll be no further misunderstandings because you'd hate to have to take your bodycam footage to the police . . .

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
You are good!
I had my reply ready for going back. “Did he realise that 2 of the liveries were also police officers?” Although both have left recently. Mum suggested they might want to come back for a ride and “forget” to change out of their uniform 😂 (to be clear I am not suggesting they do or in fact would do, that)

I’d start reporting every negative encounter on the bhs app, if nothing else other than to start a log for when you do involve the police.

Reactions: carthorse
I have never heard of that but it sounds good. Where would I find it? I looked for it in App Store.

I would try and engage with him when on a hack. Can you stop and talk to him? Try and find out what is going on? He may not even realise what he is doing.

It sounds exactly like he knows what he's doing.
If you can get footage that would be great.
Yes some people are clueless but he doesnt doesn't sound like one.

Borderland Park is a multi use park. When we used to ride there on Wednesday's years ago there was an older man....CLEARLY NOT A STUPID KID..
that would fly past the horses on his insanely expensive fancy bike almost hitting the horses.

He was pretty easy to recognize so first time maybe a accidental SECOND TIME
DELIBERATE.

I complained to the park rangers and if he was there when we were he never showed up anywhere near us.

I would definitely get a reporting trail started on him.

Reactions: Trewsers
I agree about keeping a diary.
One can report to the council. But it is unlikely that using or starting up a lawn mower on one's own property would ever constitute a nuisance unless the noise continued. Or was more frequent that required to keep the lawn in good order. The irony is that my m.i.l. who was a keen gardener would go out to the road and shovel up the horse droppings to put on her roses after any delivery man came.

Skib. No I agree. However starting it at the exact moment the horse went past (he stood and waited), seeing the horse panicking and deliberately keeping moving along with the body language makes me think it was deliberate. People start lawnmowers all the time and that is just bad timing and if you can’t cope with that out hacking then don’t go hacking. Initially I thought the timing was just a shame. However he did it deliberately to spook my horse. He has already stood in front of my horse and waved a plastic bag at his head. He then shouted at me I shouldn’t be riding there and that my horse had made a mess. We are allowed to ride there and he hasn’t made a mess. Those issues along with his attitude or “I can walk up the middle of the road and stop people getting past”. I have also since spoken to another livery who had had issue with this man. Not with a horse. But waiting till she came past to effectively block her route.

Reactions: carthorse
Hhhmmm. Another livery another story. This time twice hitting other liveries dog after their dog attacked the liveries dog.

• Angry
Reactions: Huggy
He sounds like a really lovely person :mad:. It's always very hard to deal with rotten apples, though, as the police generally know exactly who they are and what they are like but find it difficult to get enough evidence of anti social behaviour to do anything significant. So everything people have said about keeping a diary, getting video etc would be very helpful. Do you have a helmet cam?

I had to report a nasty man once to the police for coming out with a chainsaw deliberately to spook me when I was riding in my own arena. The local police came and had a word with him, it halted immediately and I didn't have any more issues in that sense. However, I think he was respectful of authority. Some people are not - and they don't take on board even a warning. Lots of good advice given on here as always, I would just add try and get him taped on your phone if you can (not easy I know if you are dealing with a spooking upset horse at the same time).

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com