Another storm coming

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
My temporary field is already a bog after Ciara and last night's downpour, and I think Storm Dennis on top of that will make it pretty much a no go zone. I'm going to shift the boys back to the main paddock for the weekend, where at least there is a shelter. I doubt they'll go in, but they can if they want to.

Bet you they spend the whole time right at the top of the field, in the teeth of the gale!

The cob already knows something is brewing, though perhaps that should read she knows something is off with me.
Storms can make me unwell. Today I started feeling a tad off and she was an unsettled fidget, she didn't even seem that happy about inhand grazing and walked back to the field and her friends.
Best place for her.

Our field is holding up well considering what's been dumped on it rain wise.

I am meant to be having a lesson at the weekend so that's going to depend on weather and how I feel.

My temporary field is already a bog after Ciara and last night's downpour, and I think Storm Dennis on top of that will make it pretty much a no go zone. I'm going to shift the boys back to the main paddock for the weekend, where at least there is a shelter. I doubt they'll go in, but they can if they want to.

Bet you they spend the whole time right at the top of the field, in the teeth of the gale!

Mine are mainly yarded at the moment, Buddy and the two comtois go out during the day but some days, when we had really deep water at the entrance to the winter field, they said no thanks. sick of it, been a really wet and nasty winter

Yesterday was the first day it wasn't blowing well here since before the weekend but we at least had a few dry days (until last night), I could really do without more cruddy weather this weekend, I'm going to have to get up on the roof Saturday morning and secure the panel that's been trying to let loose since the last storm. Of course its a 3 day weekend for us and it's meant to blow from Saturday until Monday so unlikely to get any riding in, grumble grumble

And it's definitely here. I'm hoping the repair done to my stable roof holds. At home the village is having major problems -with the drains and sewers overloading, and being in a valley surrounded by chalk downs the problem won't go away when the rain eventually stops but will carry on for weeks after. Why oh why do the council keep allowing new homes when they knew over 10 years ago that the system couldn't cope? It struggles all year, a wet winter is completely beyond it.

Rain and wind here. Not to bad at the moment. Ive just dodged the rain showers and got both boys out for a hack. But rain is setting in now. Theyve gone out in the field and put there heads down munching. Not at all bothered.

Quite windy this am. Did manage to trailer in 25 bales of hay. Horses out at moment just started to rain here in Sussex.

Pretty horrendous here now - I had to repair the electric fence - all blown to hell. Also put a raincoat on Hogan - there's little or no shelter in the field. Struggled to find a spot where the hay wasn't going to blow away! I think they're safer out than in - the barn was creaking like crazy - will be very pleased to find the roof still on tomorrow. Hogan - pretty in his pink hand-me-down.Screenshot_20200215-182321_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: Aln and Kite_Rider
In last night. Turned out for two hours today got ginger in before the rain really started. Unusually for him he was happy in but then all the horses in my barn were in.

YO asked those in the big herd to not turn out as their field is just mud but those in individual field were free to carry on.

Pulled in at 12 he seemed happy with that. Went back at four to skip out etc he was still chilled very unusual for ginger. He will stay in again tomorrow just to protect my field more than anything. He will be out Monday.

He also had an abscess which cleared but was still 1/10 Lame had the farrier and he has a bruised toe so happy to keep in. Lots of. ‘Rock hard’ applied over the next week to help.

Edward I’m the other hand is still happy out with his friends they have shelter on three sides and all seem happy

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Went down to bring them in early, the three who had gone out were on the outer yard, brought them in, the yard next to the field is now under 2ft of water, the field gateway is about 40ft in lake extending about 60ft, very deep, coming out of the field onto the yard and about 1ft from stable block. Phoned 999 got no help so went down to fire brigade, note on door, saying sand bags round the back - vehicles parked in the way. Did two trips brought back 40 sandbags and put them on one side of stable block to try to stop the water coming in. Rang 999 again, they had contacted local authority to get sandbags delivered well at 9pm 3 hours later no sign of them. I reported it last week and still no one has called back. The problem is caused by their road drain backing up into my field and now nowhere for the water to go except on the yard.

The donkeys are in the two stables furthest end of the yard away from this, the water behind the stables is around 1ft deep and I can't put sandbags there as the concrete apron isn't wide enough i.e. they just fall into the water. I have put Suze as far up the yard as I can in what was Leo's stable and Buddy and Fleur are on the yard, have put their hay right at the far end so hopefully they will all stay dry.

Crossing everything for minimal flooding for you @diplomaticandtactful what an absolute nightmare, especially when you know the cause and it could be prevented.

It's been blowy here but we've not had too much rain that I've been aware of, I'm just waiting for dawn so I can go and check on things.

it's receded this morning and we have this as well, given there are now NO sandbags at Hawick fire station. 999 fire put our emergency call through to emergency services council who were due to deliver sandbags to me - funnily enough no sign of them, like no call back when I called them on Saturday a week ago when the yard was flooded then and water just about to come into the stable. Problem is once the council drain fails and starts to back up, all the water coming down the road and the road verge goes into that drain, and when it can't go under the road and down the hill to the river, it back fills into my field and then the yard, so it can be ok one minute and be under couple of feet of water in a blink.
Scottish Borders

An updated FLOOD ALERT has been issued for Scottish Borders. On Saturday afternoon and continuing into Sunday, prolonged rain, compounded by snowmelt, is expected to cause river levels to rise and surface water to accumulate. This may cause localised flooding throughout the region, primarily of land and roads, with local disruption to travel and difficult driving conditions possible. Remain vigilant and remember, it is your responsibility to take actions which help protect yourself and your property. Advice and information is also available through Floodline on 0345 9881188. This FLOOD ALERT UPDATE is now in force until further notice. If you haven't already signed up to receive free flood messages, please call Floodline or register online at sepa.org.uk/floodingsignup. Your Floodline quick dial number for this area is 23400

Thinking of everyone who's suffering flooding and trees down, road to the yard is closed simply as someone forgot to put their handbrake on the police are saying and car has traveled quite a way causing carnage.

I've just been checking and haying ale, repairing some minor fence issues. He seems absolutely fine I've put his fly mask on just to give his eyes some protection from the wind/rain. He's dry underneath the top layer of his coat and seems cosy so more than relieved, I was expecting shivering this morning but it is mild out the wind. Given extra hay and will be back again in a bit to do the same although hopefully it'll ease off a little by then.

I'm currently sitting in the hay barn because it's really cosy and dry and I'm attempting to dry my coat a little before I head off to volunteer this morning. I'm not good driving in this weather but I can't complain, we are lucky round here compared to more exposed areas.

newrider.com