Any Experience of the Cheval Liberte trailers??

wgsjd

Sep 12, 2008
Hi all.....am looking to buy a trailer for a 16hh arab and have been introduced recently to a brand new Cheval trailers at a very reasonable price, I had originally had my heart set on a 505 Ifor Williams based on its build quality and reliability etc.

Does any one have any experience of these trailers as they are very lightweight but I wonder if that makes them less sturdy in any way? The one that I looked at had alot of extra features compared to an Ifor an was very light and airy inside making it look quite appealing!

Any suggestions/comments welcomed as am just not sure which to buy!!!

When trying to decide on a trailer i went to a dealer who had various makes and models. I thought the cheval, compared to the others were overall not as good quality.

:)I've had a cheval liberte for 18 months, am very pleased with it, I have the 3/4 mare & foal and pull it with a 2.3cc Ford Galaxy, don't know it's there most of the time. It's very light and airy, horse loves it , walks in every time. It's also very stable even on a windy day. Hope this helps Margaret

I have one - 2002XL.
Great value for money and I really don't regret it.
Just a bit of advice - take the Pullman option if you can !

Mine (15.2 stocky QH and 15.2ish stockyish arab) travel fine together and have lots of room. I can easily fit 50 small bales of hay and 50 bales of shavings in the trailer.

I did take the "tack compartment" off the jockey door though as I couldn't fit much in there (my western saddles definitely don't fit) and it was more cumbersome than anything else.

I have the CL Magnum Gold.

Bought it back in May - horse had had a bad travel experience in an old Rice, and refused to load in lorries, an IW510 or a Rice (I tried all of them...). I got the local dealer to bring over the CL, horse popped straight in and stood looking very pleased with himself. Sale!

We travelled him 6 hours to a clinic, stayed 4 days then 5 hours home - for me, the measure of how he liked it was the ease with which he loaded on the way home :) I'd been recommended it because of the Pullman suspension - apparently much nicer ride for the horse than eg. IW - and sure enough, he travels without any undue stress, doesn't do runny poos or sweat up :)

It's not quite as big as the IW510 (bigger than the 505), but he's a big, long 16.2hh horse and is quite comfortable.

No probs with the build quality, it's nicely finished - and a big bonus is that it's light enough to shift by hand if you need to shove it around ;) The barn door opening option also makes it very easy to clean.

newrider.com