Any ideas for sick dog??

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
8 years ago we took in a Labrador collie cross who was about to be PTS. We had no information on him at all, but noticed that he had wonky back legs, our vet estimated that he was around 18 months Old. We started walking him properly and his legs improved no end.
However he is now 11 and very stiff on his back legs. The vet recommended Metacam which seemed to work for him. 4 months later and he starts being sick...regularly. The vet thinks his stomach has been damaged by the Metacam and suspects ulcers. We have not had him tested as it involves scoping and sedation etc. we have switched him to chicken and rice diet, smaller meals and more often. He seems fine during the day, but can retch if his belly gets empty.
Unfortunately he has us up 2/3 times during the night. He isn't being sick (usually) but is obviously uncomfortable in some way. He is now getting a digestive biscuit when he gets up in the hope t his will stop the acid building up.

Other than this he is better than he has been for a long time. He is happy and healthy, playing with his toys and running ahead on walks.
He is due to go to vets on Thursday if we can find a solution, but want to avoid expensive treatment as he isn't insured. Anyone had anything similar with a dog? Any suggestions welcome.

I would be going back to your vet if it were my dog, sorry he's not well and hope they get to the borrow of his sickness.

Metacalm does not suit all dogs. I had a gsd years ago that was prescribed metacalm, he had a really upset stomach on it and very, very sore. I would try a different drug.
Small, regular bland meals is a good idea. Maybe ask vet about a probiotic or similar? I would explain to vet about not being insured so they can give you advice on cheaper options first. Good luck

newrider.com