Any ideas???

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
I felt this was the best place to put this.

I am wanting to do something... like personal to me I guess. You know how people make things out of their horses shoes? Or hair? I am thinking I am wanting to do something like that for sox... But not really like tat if that makes sense? A friend of mine does paintings/drawings of horses/ animals. Which I thought would be nice Or something like a photo shot as I would ideally like to put something on the wall.. Or just something of sox really lol. A friend of mine has a massive big canvass of their horse.. Not looking for something as big but... Not sure just wanting to do something.

Anyone got any ideas??

I loved painting Joe's old shoes. I had them nailed onto the gates and stable doors back at the old place. If you fancy being arty and having a go it's great fun! You can also mount them onto wood blocks, I did one for a family member and painted it gold for their 60th birthday. But if that's not your bag, I think horse hair jewellery is lovely. I would love to get something made from Joe, Storm, Chloe and now Zi.

Reactions: lauren123
I really want some nice photos of jess and Hank, them maybe a canvas made up. I regret not getting at least 1 really nice picture of Bo for the wall.

I have one really nice photo of Maisie which is on my computer and on my phone. The photo shows me and her out hacking with another rider on a winter day with trees and track etc, so it means a whole lot more to me than the horse portrait pics I took of her. Because shows our life together. The same with my share horse - I have several photos but my favourite is of me leading her taken from the front.

A good photographer is what you need - tho my OH happened to take the two of me.

After Maisie retired I did think a lot about taking her tail hair and having a bracelet. I know some people like that but I decided against it - I loved her as a living breathing intelligent animal and she was not designed to become a lifeless adornment. And I myself didnt want my dead horse hanging from my wrist. We had a cat we loved very much and I kept his collar - but in the end may be 20 years later - I threw that away too.

I once had a key ring in memory of a trail ride horse I rode in USA. The yard sold leather tags/key rings embossed with the name of the horses. I bought one with his name on and had it on my car keys or house keys. Over the years as I used it and fingered it, the leather took on a nice patina and it was always there with me.

You can put a name on a key tag even after the horse has gone. Or one could keep a silver charm bracelet and engrave the name of each horse you ride on a silver tag and have all the names there.

I have a polo horse shoe nailed to the door of our shed. It was given me (a spectator) by an umpire after a match long ago to replace one that had rusted all away.

My grandfather left a pastel portrait of his best stallion, it is very life like with the horse turning his head inside the stable, and also had a posed framed photo taken side view - a conformation shot - with his groom sitting on the horse - presumably to keep it still for the photographer. There were lots of small black and white family photos too. But he died young in the FWW. The problem with framing things and keeping pics on the wall is that you just accumulate so much stuff. We have a pile of framed pictures just lying on a bed - no one has the room to hang them any more. If you plan ahead and imagine 2 horses for each decade of your life. That is a lot of horses.

I'd go for a photo shoot. My engagement photo shoot was horse-themed and centred around Toby and Kez. The photos are fab and we've a lovely canvas for the wall.

I was going to say photo shoot too. I think there are some wonderful photographers that can take some excellent photos. There is one near us called hoofprints who looks really good. xx

newrider.com