Any one used a Monty Roberts dually halter before? need advice!

CrazyMare

Jul 28, 2005
Uk,devon
Well, I went to see the man him self in action last wed and I loved it! so much that i brought one of his halters :eek: , and training video, don't worry! mickey was being really pushy today and was basicly dragging me were he wanted to go, and that included the kitchen in our house, mum was NOT pleased with me! to tell the truth I just couldn't stop him I even tried jabbing him in the flank area when he went through the doorway as a last resort to try and turn him around but i may of well tickled him! :rolleyes: so any way, I dug out the halter and put it on him, I had had enough of his pushy behaviour :mad: and I did a little training with him, boy did he not like it to start with but then he calmed down and what a difference! :D I only did a little though as it does say to see if you can join up with him first, going to have a try tomor, so the point I am getting at has any one used one before, how did they find it and did it improve there horse in the long run? Also , need a bit of advice, I am doing the first stage of the training and I am getting him to back up, come forward, basicly follow me but he takes no notice when I tell him to back up, and when I do use the presure I can't conture up enough because he seems numb to it and I get hardly any response, he does move but in his own time very slowly!, am I just to weak!? would sharp tugs on the rope be better or would that hurt him? :confused: help?! :D

I would suggest to get some lessons one on one to help you with your horse
also your instructor can show you how to handle your horse.

I have used one of those halters to get my TB into the float she reared 3 times then walked straight on, now we use a nylon rope halter and she still walks on (the one with 4 knots not 2)
that halter worked a treat and as for the rope halters i'm never going back to a normal head stall you have no control.
my TB used to get hot when walking around in a normal headstall but now i have the rope halter she doesnt try it.

You have to be firm, and not let him get away with it because it may hurt him, or your too weak, its hard but you learn after awhile it pays in the long run and strenthens your relationship with your horse.

If he is pushing you around he has lost respect for you, i would suggest to start in the round yard.

you can still have a great effect on a horse that you feel against, after awhile he will follow you around willingly and it wont matter how strong you are, all horses are going to win that competition hands down.

Oh and remember when you are schooling and your hrose responds realise the pressure so it rewards him on his good responce.

I know of a problem horse at our agistment who has no respect for her owner would walk all over her, it got quite dangerous after awhile, anyhow a guy who has been doing NH for 30 od years had a go after 10 minutes in the round yard working on the horse's respect issues, they both were standing by the fence talking and guess who the horse walked up to???
The NH guy after he has seen this horse for 10 minutes apposed to the girl who lets him get away with everything

ie-she wont go a certain way because the horse doesnt like it
she wont float because the horse doesnt like it
she wont ride in the paddock because the horse doesnt like it
she drags her every where so she just follows him

good luck with everything i know how hard it is you just got to stand your ground and let him know what is not exceptable behaviour, and always praise him on his good behaviour, sometimes you feel your being mean but your not

Hiya,i use a dually halter on my 2 year old welsh section D and i think its great! He always used to be really pushy wanting to get his own way and it really does do the trick! ( hes a big softie really ) but i did also try it on his ten year old mum and she didnt take to kindly to it! she kicked up a fuss but soon got used to it. i have also got a special made dually halter type thing and i ride my one of my other cobs in it, without a bridle and bit and i find it totally reliable. So yeah i think there a great thing to have! i went to see monty roberts last year didnt manage to this year, but i think hes great!

Also do be firm with your horse, do makehim/her(sorry can't remember what said it was!!) do what you want them to do, but obviously don't be nasty! it will help a lot in the future because they start to take note of you. anyway enough babbling on, good luck with your dually halter!
xjodiex

thanks for your advice guys, :) he did join-up with me yesterday though and right after I did a bit of schooling with the halter and he was really good, just have to keep it up now! :p

newrider.com