any online vids or pics of long lining

greeneyes13

greeneyes
Jun 7, 2005
Ireland but currently Perth, WA
Z is fresh as anything this week as not ridden for a while,

i tried lunging last night and he was turning in and cutting me off by switching directions. from reading old posts i think i need to stand more behing him to discourage this but also people are recommending long lining, is this just lunging with two ropes or driving with no carriage?!

cheers

depends how you long line- some people "lunge" (from the middle) with 2 lines, outside line fetched round quarters or you can do it from behind like driving without a carriage basically.

both are good, but i prefer longlining from behind its much clearer IMO.

Long-lining in the lunging sense, Tally buggers off if I just lunge. His roller doesn't fit properly (you'd think a 'cob' sized roller would fit a 15hh broad Anglo-Arab...) so all the leather is just trying to keep it on.

100_3507.jpg

Lunging from behind, crappy photo but you get the picture. I had the reins set higher here as he kept eating with them lower. This photo is from last summer too, so old!

tallyskycows26-12-2007051.jpg

I find it to be great exercise, something different from riding and a lot of fun.

thanks everyone!

i didnt get a chance to check on here before i went out to the yard today so i just gave it a go and it went really well. much more responsive and i had a lot more control

and changing the rein involves a lot less work!

Beki- yup, i find its handy to tie the stirrups under the belly with twine as otherwise they flap a bit

Appalousa Mare-my horse will not go forward that easily he is a lazy TB on the ground. i tried holding a schooling whip and was getting a handful of clumsy, unless i had the lines all the way out i cant seem to juggle releasing the lenght and using a lunge whip

newrider.com