Any Rational Reason?

''Ria

Nov 10, 2009
Leeds - Yorkshire
Hello All. I've tried to attach a pic sent by a concerned friend. Is there any rational reason to turn out in this fashion? Apparently the little pone has been looking throughly depressed in this same state for a good couple of days now.

Thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• untitled2.bmp
    390 KB · Views: 107
if turned out with abit 24/7 then no wonder its depressed - does your friend know the owners? if so then ask them if they are aware/is there a reason-is it known in the area if not and no owners known then I would report it - may have ben dumped - I would def make further enquiries sooner rather than later

poor thing, someone has left it in a field with a bit and head collar attached ??

Cant see any reason why, is it always like that or has someone had to rush off and forgotten ?

If its always like it might be worth contacting the land owner, Im sure I read if someone rents their land out they have to provide some due care to ensure no animal on their land suffers even if it doesnt belong to them. Worth also WHW and ILPH or local rescue. I personally dont think the rspca are worth a call.

Cant imagine what its doing to its mouth and teeth to be grazing with a bit in. If its left like that more more than a week I would be inclinded to remove the bit and replace it with a grazing muzzle but leave the head collar on. I wouldnt normally condone touch someone elses animal but I do not agree with leaving it out in a bit that someone cares about it anyway.

Last edited:
I know..... I just can't get my head around it at all..... apparently he's finding it very difficult to eat, and what he has been able to munch is all tangled and bunched up in the bit (causing him more discomfort presumably).

No indication as to whom they belong, by the way.... and they've seemingly just appeared within the last few weeks.

Thanks for all your input.

It's definitely intentional, LL..... the contraption suddenly appeared on the pone, and it's been on the poor thing for a couple of days solid now.

Friend is non-horsey - but likes to say hello when he goes for his evening run. Bless his spirit and his compassion, he said he thought about taking it off.

I know the field, but as for ownership, I've no idea. I think they have been 'placed' there by a third party for the time being.....

My mind boggles... I would phone RSPCA or HAPPA.

If I saw this on an unattended horse I would remove it. There is no reason a horse should be turned out like this. It is pure equine cruelty. Lovely pony that reminds me of one my yearlings High-Jinks. I mouthed her while standing with her, grooming and fussing her to make it as easy as possible.

Jas had bit issues for years and I think similar behaviour caused it.

Last edited:
If there is more than one then try and find out who they belong to - have they all been turned out like this? the landowner should know - if he shoked to hear they are there - then that could mean a couple of things - it may be a guenine error on owners part you need to be sure and make attempts to contact owners - thats what authorities would do so if you need to contact them you will have speeded things up a bit

I remember a friend telling me years ago a pony was turned out like this as pony was over weight, was supposed to slow down his grass in take.

Right or wrong if near me I would take it off.

My mind boggles... I would phone RSPCA or HAPPA.

If I saw it I would remove it. There is to me no reason a horse should be turned out like this.

I think you have to be careful about interferingwith other peoples even with the best intentions stock without having give them the chance to sort- f anything happens they could pass blame to you - its not right in my eyes -the law can be an ass at times - if you decide they are in danger then report to authorities and leave it to them.

In my limited knowledge that was the only thing I could get close to by way of reason for it, learningcurve..... for God's sake, if you can't afford to restrict grazing by proper means..... well you all know what I'm going to say.

I'll see if I can get to the bottom of who owns the land tomorrow (it's not that I don't appreciate the urgency of this, but I can only access the land registry at work). I think I'll also inform the powers that be, to put them on notice, just in case they would rather take steps to make the poor lamb more comfortable sooner rather than later.

In my limited knowledge that was the only thing I could get close to by way of reason for it, learningcurve..... for God's sake, if you can't afford to restrict grazing by proper means..... well you all know what I'm going to say.

I'll see if I can get to the bottom of who owns the land tomorrow (it's not that I don't appreciate the urgency of this, but I can only access the land registry at work). I think I'll also inform the powers that be, to put them on notice, just in case they would rather take steps to make the poor lamb more comfortable sooner rather than later.

I think that sounds a positive plan - if the powers that be deem from your description that they need to take a look and do something before the owners are located then they have the liability aspect covered - do keep us updated

I've turned one of mine out in a bit before now to restrict his grass intake less. Interesting that, even though he could eat more than he could in a muzzle, he was more comfortable than he'd have been in a muzzle and the bit and bridle rubbed less than a muzzle, I'd obviously have been shot down by most people here for animal cruelty.

I've turned one of mine out in a bit before now to restrict his grass intake less. Interesting that, even though he could eat more than he could in a muzzle, he was more comfortable than he'd have been in a muzzle and the bit and bridle rubbed less than a muzzle, I'd obviously have been shot down by most people here for animal cruelty.

Im surprised it makes much of a difference, she still mows the place down when wearing a bit :giggle:
Though presumably your bridle was leather too so safer in that aspect?

Tatty old leather bridle, yes. Or tatty old leather bridle tied together with bailing twine. But I get the impression that it's not really the headcollar people are worried about - would everyone really suggest calling the RSPCA or HAPPA if they saw a horse turned out in a headcollar?

Using a bit definitely did slow mine down. Not as much as using a muzzle, but it was very useful for when a muzzle would be excessive and nothing would be too generous. I'd do it again if needs be, though obviously I'd have to put a bag over their heads too so noone could see it.

newrider.com