Any riders who prefer 'quirky' horses (A.K.A Nutters)?

shoniedaspony

me+horses=smiley person
Aug 22, 2003
north west london
Visit site
I have been browsing wanted ads, and all seem to be for perfect pony- obviously people put what they are looking for, but are there some riders out there who like quirks in a horse?

I often see other peoples horses and think 'oh dont they look boring'- not really sure why, but i think quirks are good fun!

I am considering selling/loaning my boy out next year once i finish uni, depending on work etc, and there are no ads i have seen so far which even go anywhere near to what he is. I think part of the problem is he is 14.1, and all the adults seem to be after a 14.2+, and he is no way a kids ride (i would say very experienced 16+).

Is it just me that likes a little bit of crazy? And if you are looking for a horse to loan/buy, do quirks put you off?

Absolutely, 100% put off. I'm not sure how old you are, but you are obviously quite young because you have mentioned finishing Uni.

When I was younger I would ride anything - in fact the more of a nutter the better and wasn't fazed by getting chucked off at all - I've ended up with some horrible injuries when I was younger - the worst being losing four front teeth and fracturing my chin hitting the floor face first when jumping a lunatic but now I'm a lot older, I start to worry about what would happen if I rode something that had me on the floor every five minutes - things like "what if I can't work for weeks/months as a result of being injured? How would I pay my mortgage/bills/livery??" I'll be honest and say the thought scares me silly so I just don't put myself in the position where it might happen.

I think that for some people at least, as age creeps up on them they start to lose their confidence in handling a quirky spooky horse and nerves overtake.... only happens to some, mind - but I'm definitely one of them!!

Give me a sane, sensible horse with excellent brakes even in a snaffle any day!!:D

By quirks i mean throws the odd buck, or is a bit speedy/nappy etc...or not 100% lovable on the ground every day of the year?

Most adverts wants 100% safe and perfectly behaved...i just dont think it is realistic?

And yeah I'm 20..with a few serious falls behind me...

By quirks i mean throws the odd buck, or is a bit speedy/nappy etc...or not 100% lovable on the ground every day of the year?

Most adverts wants 100% safe and perfectly behaved...i just dont think it is realistic?

sounds like my horse lol he will throw the odd buck in lol more so when he sees the crop being pulled out my chaps,he will also have a funny 5 min where he thinks he aint passing something but i love it, its all in good fun, iv been feedin him halage for the past week and not been able to rde him so im looking forward to getting on him tomorrow lol

Im my heart..yes i love a quirky horse that is a challenge ........ but in my head ....not anymore:eek: I have spent a lifetime riding quirky horses (sooo enjoyable:)) but now a mother:eek:, have to `prioritise`...sorry to sound dull:D

Oh yes - thank goodness I'm not the only one!

Give me a spooky, bucking, nappy, green, temperamental or otherwise difficult horse any day! I love a challenge and naturally and always trying to improve things; our relationship, overcoming the horse's fears etc. And whilst I truly do love all horses and try to treat them as individuals, I prefer having something to ride rather than a really well behaved, dare I say boring (for want of a better word) horse.

I'd have him.

x

Last edited:
i would like a safe, bombproof good to handle on the ground horse but i share a nutcase TB x
she tries to bite & kick everyone and even lunges at people if they so much as look at her!
she spooks at everything and i cant even get a hi viz sheet or leg bands near her
she bucks if she cant be bothered to work any harder, gets excited, other horses run off and you hold her back.
she speeds right up if she sees another horse ahead

she is a wicked old bag who nobody likes let alone loves. except for me and her owner that is :D

quirks can be fun but if i bought my own i would want them a bit more sane :cool:

Im my heart..yes i love a quirky horse that is a challenge ........ but in my head ....not anymore:eek: I have spent a lifetime riding quirky horses (sooo enjoyable:)) but now a mother:eek:, have to `prioritise`...sorry to sound dull:D

i would think twice if its someone elses horse but i know my boy inside out but i know *** your saying about being a mum.

It IS realistic - if you are willing to take a very long time and try out a lot of horses before finding "the one" who is 100% safe and perfectly behaved - I guess I was just lucky.

I have had my horse for 8 years and he has never, ever in all that time tanked off with me, had me off, or done anything to frighten me. He is by no means a plod however, if you put your leg on he goes like the clappers but always controlled and never dangerously.

It IS realistic - if you are willing to take a very long time and try out a lot of horses before finding "the one" who is 100% safe and perfectly behaved - I guess I was just lucky.

I have had my horse for 8 years and he has never, ever in all that time tanked off with me, had me off, or done anything to frighten me. He is by no means a plod however, if you put your leg on he goes like the clappers but always controlled and never dangerously.

please touch some wood

flash harry- i kinda get what you mean- i can't remember 2 weeks of my degree because i was so dosed up on painkillers when i broke my collarbone last year, and i really decided that i would limit what i did while at uni as it was just sensible (having said that, injury was due to pony tripping...)

Do you think that quirks would put you off from buying/loaning a horse?

I prefer a horse that I have to work with.

When I trialed Kia he was great but after a week or so I found out he had quirks and now most of them are worked through and I can deal with them (mostof the time lol)

I dont like buying horses that are foot perfect or have been worked by someone else to a high level of skill . I prefer to work with a horse and work things out between us.

YEs there will be bumps in the road, I have sat in the middle of the school crying many a time as I have lost the rag with Kia and got off but hey it all comes together eventually and I love a horse with an opinion!!

Push button horses no matter what age just arnt for me:D

Nikki xxxx:p

Excuuuuuuuuuse me! :eek:

I can't believe you're even mentioning this, I'm having brillo pad! ;) You know I'll love all his odd ways and they don't put me off at all

What would put people off if you advertised him, is not his ways, as a competant 16yr old would cope with those, but his breed as people just wouldn't understand.

I like riding something that is a bit of a challenge. The only thing a horse can do that scares me is bolt - and I mean full scale bolt - not just in the school. I am still at school and have had thousands of falls - none very serious though. I occasionally like to ride a steady horse but I find the nutters more fun. My first pony was a 12.2hh that bucked if you so much as showed her a crop and if she didn't want to do something she bucked then shot forward and dropped her shoulder stopping dead!

I agree with the above quote HOWEVER I have just bought a pony with um, 'significant' quirks. The reasons - 1. OK my heart ruled my head :p:rolleyes::eek: 2. He was cheaper then a 'ready-made' pony and has the potential to be eventually a nice pony.

I think some loaners would worry however about improving a horse for it to be taken back? Also a lot of it relative, and agree totally that teenagers etc are higher risk takers lol.....I wouldn't ride a lot of things now that I would when I was younger..................maybe you may have more luck/find someone better suited with a competent competitive teen?

please touch some wood

I do every day!! lol! But I think that after eight years, if it was going to happen, it would have by now!! Of course, all horses are unpredictable, and I'm not being complacent, but what I'm trying to say is that riding him is like putting on a comfy pair of slippers - he doesn't buck, tank off, rear, shy, spook, bite..... just never has... and if he did start then I would automatically come to the conclusion that he was doing it because he was uncomfortable in some way... it just isn't in his nature.

I really enjoy working young green horses. It's very rewarding to know that you're teaching them and they're actually learning. I do enjoy the occasional ride on a "hot" horse, but there are days that I don't want to be "challenged" during the entire ride,lol.

It depends how quirky!! your pony doesn't really sound that bad athough you don't mention how nappy!! My sister has a very talented crusing mare that I wouldn't like to get on and thats nappy but to the point it rears vertical!! quirky!! it's bloody dangerous!! yesterday out hacking it was being a Bit*h and it reared and lost it's balance and went over backwards!! It is a fantastic jumper tho and my sister loves it!! So I don't mind something that bucks or is a bit quick Harry used to do lipazana leaps I don't mind that at all I sold him because he used to stop dead and fire me on the floor..

newrider.com