Any saddlers on here, please read and answer if you can...

ForestGump

Apr 9, 2008
Hampshire
I am looking to get my boy a new saddle. I want a leather one but he has very high withers so I would probably need the saddle to be either made for him or altered to fit him.
How much do you charge for a call out and what sort of price do all of your saddles go for? :confused:

How long is a bit of string?

It depends on how far you have to come out and what has to be done to make the saddle up, tweaking and refitting and mucking about.

i don't do this anymore, If I was within calling distance of the trade I would, it's just too much hassle for me to get what I need over the phone.

I would have thought you'd get a good, made to measure one for around £1000.

My words exactly Wally, I have just given up going out to measure up and sell on site and flock etc, too much hassle and with everyone deciding to buy online I don't get enough trade to make it viable.
£1000 plus I would say for custom made and fitted and going up all the time as our raw materials increase in costs.
Oz :)

I have a saddler who comes out to horse , he has a workshop at the back of his house.
Based in wilts though, they are out there but hard to track down.

I am looking to get my boy a new saddle. I want a leather one but he has very high withers so I would probably need the saddle to be either made for him or altered to fit him.
How much do you charge for a call out and what sort of price do all of your saddles go for? :confused:

HI

I have a saddle for sale, less than 12 months old meeting your requirements. Only selling cos it's too narrow for my horse and was made to fit her high withers

Debbie

if you were getting a made to measure saddle your probably looking over a £1000 once the fitter has added there fees but if your buying second hand a re fit and reflock will probably be about £100 with post(not counting actually buying saddle and having saddle fitter out)

if your haveing a new saddle ect be very wary whos going to fit and make this saddle do your home work 1st i lost £800 a few years back to a con man n i kept phoneing him back n then he started to blame my horse saying she may have kissing spin but didnt i had her looked at by a top vet at leahurst and he was struck of in the end so many had complained about him and i found my fitter threw my vet he made myn and its checked every six months threw the con man i was thrown off on a main road lucky my horse didnt make a run for it and just stood there bucking on the spot but alls sorted i paid £1150 that was 2 fits 2 call outs and the saddle and the saddle is very nice my freind paid £950 but that was off the peg but he did some more flocking to it dont just take eney saddle fitter that comes along do your homework 1st

My friend is having a copy of her favourtite type of saddle made for her horse at a cost of £600 by a very reputable saddler. My horse has quite high withers and I have had a terrible time with saddles for him however, I got a 2nd hand Albion K2 narrow/medium fit online, the saddler checked it before I parted with my cash and we now have a very happy horse and rider with a lovely, very well looked after, comfy saddle :D Previous to that we had a Thorowgood High Wither saddle which fitted him fine but made me feel quite perched.

If I bought a saddle company saddle that was a wide fitting can it be altered to fit a narrow horse? I don't know about the saddle company saddles so just curious. :confused:

newrider.com