Any thoughts?

kirstie_jasmine89

Jun 11, 2018
We are recovering from strangles no one is showing any signs only a few were infected. Labs are shut to get blood test done...vets can only come out for emergencies due to coronavirus. Could they go out those that showed no symptoms or wait till labs eventually open? They've been in 8 weeks now in stables

I'd also say speak to your vet.

What I'd do depends on the circumstances. If they were my horses and all on my land not coming into contact with other horses then I think I'd chance it and turn them out, if they're liveries then it's harder - maybe get it in writing from people who want them out and make sure they're out well away from others.

I would also speak with your vet.
If the land adjoins other horse owners then no its not appropriate and you need to wait for blood tests.
You need to follow veterinary/defra procedure advice on stangles.

I'd definitely want input from the vet who's been dealing with it and knows your set up.

If it is just your own horses, on your own property and there is no physical way they can contact horses on neighbouring properties, then I would put them out if the vet gave their blessing, but if its a livery yard, or the neighbours have horses sharing fence lines then it would be irresponsible to put them out without a clear test.

newrider.com