Anybody actually like being pregnant?

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
I'm 17 weeks and not really liking being pregnant. Just wondering am I abnormal or did anyone else not really enjoy it?

I mean I have had the easiest pregnancy so far, no sickness or tiredness, completely normal...but I'm just not 'into' pregnancy....I hate the fact that I have a pot now, I hate the tight trouser feeling, I like to feel fit and toned, I think that's what I am most struggling with and the fact that I am only going to get bigger :(

I know it's all for a worthy cause at the end, but I'm dreading being heavily pregnant and having to accept help from others, I'm just so independent :(

Share some of your pregnancy experiences (good or bad!) to try to cheer me up!

I felt great ! Had sickness at first (morning sickness is a lie, I had it all day !) but after that passed I was fantastic, I'm blessed with good skin anyway, but I had a real bloom about me and was still able to touch my toes 1 day before I had my daughter, however she was breech and I carried her high.

Your only in your second trimester, relax and enjoy it. You may not need help towards the end of your pregnancy, I didn't :D But mine was a breeze.

I say relax and enjoy it, however I didn't really get into the pregnancy until 20+ weeks when I started seeing the midwife a bit more and more things were happening, then I got excited ! :)

Looking back I think my pregnancy was pretty easy, but I think that was because the 3rd tri was actually not as bad as I imagined.
I never got humongous dispite giving birth to an 8lb 3 baby and stayed pretty active till the day before I gave birth (us outdoorsy types just tend to get on with it don't we?!)

I do remember not being particularly enamoured with the whole thing during the first 6 months though do I know where you are coming from! I remember saying that the elusive 'glow' that you are supposed to get in tri 2 is actually code for feeling less sick than tri 1 but no where near a crappy as you are going to feel in tri3!

I suffered with pelvic pain around the 20-25 week mark and can't recommend chiropractic treatment enough as that sorted me right out and he rest of the pregnancy was ok. I also had a support belt that was great but I had to give up wheeling barrows of poo up a hill and picking out shire horse feet was a bit tricky!

It will fly by I promise x

My first 15 weeks were awful as I was so sick. After that was great though.

I'd always struggled with my weight as an adult but being pregnant gave me the strength to be in control of my eating and I felt in control. It also allowed me to feel happier about my size so I was confident. I didn't worry about stretch marks as I already had them!

I felt like a real woman, like I'd found my purpose in life and everything suddenly made sense. I felt attractive. Hubby didn't want to come near me though and was cold and standoffish. After a while of this I confronted him, told him I felt really alone. He then confessed he was scared and didn't think he'd make a good father. Things improved after that.

At 36 weeks him and his mate decided to knock 2 rooms in tge muddle of the house together so the only way I could get to the living room from the kitchen (or visa versa) was out the back door, into the garden, up the driveway and in through the front door! My nesting instincts were going bananas and I was very stressed. When they'd finished, hubby had me down on my hands and knees painting shirting board and boy did I struggle. When I told him I was struggling he told me he couldn't see why as he was fatter than me and he could still do it!!!

Needless to say he knows better now and I have the benefit of bringing it up periodically to embarrass him and remind him how insensitive he can be on occasion. I can be insensitive all the time though and that's my prerogative.

Joking aside. I lived being pregnant because it felt like I'd finally found what I was meant to be in life. Not politically correct but its me.

I,m going to be contraversial here :frown: From the moment i found out i was pregnant until a week after i gave birth i was sick 30 times a day ( I was hospitalised twice with each pregnancy) and i actually hated it.I felt like i was being eaten alive from the inside out....But , i went on to do it 3 times so despite how hideous i found the pregnancy , the birth made everything worth it :biggrin:

I'm currently 7 days overdue and getting a little fed up...... I have to say I've not enjoyed being pregnant, I've had an easy time of it but I just hate the feeling like you that my body can no longer do the things it used to! Plus the uncontrollable stomach growth is very disconcerting. I rode until 32 weeks and I think that really helped me stay fit. I'm still out with the dog twice a day, although its more if a waddle now than a walk!, and I can't say I need help from anyone to do things. Other than hubby helping me off the sofa or putting my socks on! This is my first and I too thought late pregnancy would be awful and is be huge but its not as bad as I'd thought. I am uncomfortable and my tummy aches and is sore but as long as I get plenty of rest I'm still doing lots.

I've definitely not felt 'maternal' at any point?! More like I've been invaded to be honest :) Although I'm sure the hormones will kick in when it eventually decides to make an appearance!

Thanks every one! Interesting reading how different everyone feels.

A good friend of mine from school is pregnant too and due two weeks after me, I keep getting texts from her and she sounds so excited and happy (although she had awful sickness)....but I'm not excited or happy really! Like I'm pleased to be pregnant and we are ready for this next stage but being pregnant isn't really my idea of fun! I was more keen on adopting if I'm totally honest... Perhaps that's my obsession with rescuing animals coming into play there! If we had struggled to conceive we would have adopted rather than IVF.

Crinklesb that's reassuring as I feel exactly the same about it as you! I was worried im the only one who felt like I do...occasionally referring to baby as a parasite! (um not exactly a maternal term!!)

Hmmm I too used to feel like I had an alien growing inside me, never stopped me being happy with it though, just such a wierd sensation I think, especially when at 34 weeks said baby decided to roll over completely from breech position to normal head down! That was just freaky as this huge lump arose in my belly and slowly rolled over like a massive wave, felt very freaky too.
I have a blood disorder which didn't help as I was very anaemic so got very tired and breathless but other than that I didn't stop doing anything I normally did just used to take a lot longer is all.
I didn't enjoy getting kicked in the bladder all the time or when I was trying to sleep at night and the baby would kick the bed through my belly and rolling over made no difference as she would just roll over too and start the other side.
I bought a fitness for pregers ladies video (yes it was that long ago!) and excersised religiously all the way through, it was great as it had different excersises for each trimester, also went swimming at least once a week, although last 6 weeks or so swimming used to bring on braxton hicks contractions which was a bit alarming sometimes.
I had very easy pregnacies and for the most part enjoyed it though. Easy deliveries too which was a bonus and am still convinced that was down to being fit.
Good luck with your pregnancy and it really will fly by.

Being pregnant with my second child was 9 months of pure hell! I was sick most days for 6 months and constantly felt like I had a ranging hangover and wanted to eat, but anything that I ate made me feel sick. I especially remember Christmas Eve 2009 where I was sick 7 times in 2 hours!

I had a very stressful first pregnancy where I was admitted to hosptial with pre-ecampysia. My first baby was born early and spent 10 days in intensive care and I was terrified that it was going to happen again. When I found out I was pregnant with my second, I was signed off work for 6 weeks because I just couldn't stop crying. If anyone looked at me I would either bite their head off, or burst into tears. I really do feel sorry for my friends, family and work colleagues who had to put up with me. It was kind of like I didn't want to acknowledge that I was pregnant because I was so scared that something was going to happen to my baby that I wanted to disconnect myself from it.

I hated the fact that everyone was so obsessed with me being pregnant that was all they focused on. I felt like I wasn't a person anymore because all anyone would talk about was my bump. Everyone seemed to suddenly think that it was OK to try and touch me and comment on my figure. I found it very intrusive and I hated the attention. Everyone expected me to be glowing and radiant, but in reality I was deeply stressed and felt very scared.

I didn't have my own horse back then but I used to go and watch my weekly riding lesson. It was one of the only places where no-one cared I was pregnant and would talk to me about horses instead of babies.

There were some nice times. I loved to feel him move around and my eldest son used to put his ear on my tummy and talk to his little brother. We used to sing him songs and read him stories. I also used to enjoy having baths as unborn baby liked the water and used to move around.

We always planned to have 3 children, but I just don't think that I can face another pregnancy. However, everyone is right that it does fly by and soon you will have your little baby and pregnancy will be a distant memory.

I loved being preggers with my daughter until i got stretch marks in the last couple of weeks :cry: When i got to about 35 weeks i just wanted her out, the weight of the bump and my weird cravings were ridiculous.

I disliked every bit of being preggers with my son, hated being fat and that he was bigger than my daughter, i was quite ill with him too. He was a week late and then i ended up critically ill after i had him due to an infection.

But the main thing is that i wouldn't be without them both now! A little break now and again would be nice though :happy:

I,m going to be contraversial here :frown: From the moment i found out i was pregnant until a week after i gave birth i was sick 30 times a day ( I was hospitalised twice with each pregnancy) and i actually hated it.I felt like i was being eaten alive from the inside out....But , i went on to do it 3 times so despite how hideous i found the pregnancy , the birth made everything worth it :biggrin:

Yup, I was sick for 9 months solid, only the last month was sick free, (Yes do the maths, I nearly had the gestation of a horse)

My pelvis split and I couln't walk, Had to wear a big elastic belt, my sternum got sore, then I had to be air ambulanced for an hour and a bit to Aberdeen. But it was worth it.......so I am told! :D

Not something I glowed about, Bleugh! Morning (all day 24/7 for 9 months) sickness is like no other nausia on the planet, I lost so much weight. I was lighter at 9 months than when I started, then after giving birth I was the lightest I have been for years.

Being pregnant is a breeze its us men i feel sorry for as we have the job of getting you pregnant. I am sitting back waiting on all the flack thats coming my way.

Never had the privelidge so can't really comment! Tbh the idea scared me in my youth and by the time I came around to the idea it was too late! Oh well... I feel sorry for anybody who feels sick all the time - yuk! It will all be worth it tho I'm sure!!!

Lol PH! I'm sure the making the lady pregnant is the fun bit, it's the dealing with us afterwards when we are pregnant that isn't so fun!

I was thinking the other night how actually since being pregnant I'm less Moody, more relaxed about life generally surprisingly!

I wonder if actually the pill I was on made me more grumpy as I def feel less grumpy after being off it!

I liked being pregnant with all mine, once the feeling sick/tired stage had passed. It didn't stop me doing anything either, although I wasn't riding at the time. I did go ski-ing on a dry slope when I was pregnant with my first and was swimming in super stretch cozzies with them all, was swimming the day before giving birth with my last one. I don't remember not being able to get my socks on or being particularly uncomfortable either, but I did nearly pass out at the dentists once - apparently the weight of the baby presses on some vital artery or something when you lie back.

I do remember with the first one though that I didn't feel as though I was ready for a baby. I've a picture of me cuddling a teddy that someone had given us for Christmas, which I'd dressed in nappy/babygro etc as a practice and it still didn't feel real, although I used to lie in the bath and be fascinated watching the baby moving about in my tummy - it was around the time of the first Alien film and quite spooky at times!

newrider.com