Anyone else bored of their job.....

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I am bored, bored and bored some more. I am training in a new career but that is a 5 year course and I am still 3 years away from qualifying. In the meantime I have to pay the bills somehow so have to put the hours into a job I am just so bored of. I know that I am lucky that I can work from home and I only do 16 hours a week anyway, but the work is so tedious and boring. I daydream about quitting and working literally anywhere else, but then the mortgage won't pay itself. Anyone else feel like this?

Absolutely! Anything that doesn't get spent on Harvey goes into my pension and I'm planning to retire in a couple of years time. I'm not going to be rich, but at least my time will be my own.

Reactions: Mary Poppins
Absolutely! Anything that doesn't get spent on Harvey goes into my pension and I'm planning to retire in a couple of years time. I'm not going to be rich, but at least my time will be my own.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It just seems just a waste of time doing my job. Most of the work I do is pointless as the so called managers are useless. I long for the day where I can do something I want to do. It will happen, but not for 3 years.

Yup, most of the time anyway. My job is a bit weird, it's nothingness for most of the year then there will be 3 months on a crazy project that demands lots of work, attention and overtime. Those are the projects I enjoy, I am definitely someone who is better under pressure. I've been wanting to find something else for a while, but with this impending move I have just been sitting tight till we are moved. My current job may be boring but even though I'm on a 42 hour week, the hours suit me and it's totally flexible, I can come and go as I want, get plenty of leave and TOIL (I had over 3 months off last year! of course I make up the hours with longer days but it's nice regardless), it's hard to match all that.

Yup, most of the time anyway. My job is a bit weird, it's nothingness for most of the year then there will be 3 months on a crazy project that demands lots of work, attention and overtime. Those are the projects I enjoy, I am definitely someone who is better under pressure. I've been wanting to find something else for a while, but with this impending move I have just been sitting tight till we are moved. My current job may be boring but even though I'm on a 42 hour week, the hours suit me and it's totally flexible, I can come and go as I want, get plenty of leave and TOIL (I had over 3 months off last year! of course I make up the hours with longer days but it's nice regardless), it's hard to match all that.

Same with mine. I do 16 hours a week, but no-one mind when I do those hours. It could be at 3am in the morning if I wanted to! I tend to start early and then take an extended lunch break so I always have time to do Ben during the day which is particularly nice to winter as I avoid dark evenings. I guess I am just feeling impatient and wanting to move on.

Reactions: Jessey
For ten years I have worked every Monday, Wednesday and Friday (No hols or bank hols off) as a housekeeper.... aka glorified cleaner for the same people. I try not to get bored but.....

Cant say I am really, no. I don't think any job ever is perfect, even when I was working at my ideal job which I really loved, there were days when I really would have liked a few days off.
I guess because you know you are training for something else it must be hard to stay happy in your work, knowing you've potentially got bigger, better things ahead.

I actually find my job quite interesting even though it's nothing I have any interest in aka animals! I think the people are lovely and this helps a huge amount. And I get to investigate all sorts of things even though usually it's just errors made by other people (or myself, those days are always fun...) Sometimes it gets really wild and I get to investigate missing deliveries or a big screw up somewhere along the line and I like the feeling when it's all resolved. Some of my duties seem as pointless as anything, I file so much paperwork that no one ever even looks at but I just take pride in doing it correctly and that passes time at least. Always feel guilty about all the trees we use up though!

After 13 years working with horses it never stopped being fun so "boring" isn't really something I've had to deal with!
But, as Kite Rider said it may well be anticipation of a better future that's making you feel unfulfilled right now.

I do find that doing the same thing day in, day out does get boring. It is a very repetitive job. It can also be lonely as I dont always see people to speak to. So I need a radio to stop me going insane somedays.
I very rarely have time off as I dont take holidays. It's usually when people go away or cancel me at short notice that I get a few extra hours. So that's my holiday time. Im actually looking forward to easter as I know I will get a few cancellations. So for me its the old saying a change is as good as a rest.
At present I'm working more hours a week than I have in a long time. I used to have a part day mid week and odd cancellations which meant i got more horse time, but I decided that I needed to work a bit more to tuck some money away for a rainy day. I thought the extra hours I took on would only be temporary but its now been nearly a year. I know the hours will go back down when I lose the clients and some days I do wonder why I took on the extra especially in winter as it meant that all my animals were being done in the dark and cold. But at least I was working.

newrider.com