Anyone else find that they'd rather just spend time with their horse than ride??

HashRouge

Feb 18, 2008
Cheshire..but London right now
I've owned my horse for 7 years, since I was 11, so I've obviously changed a lot sinced then. Anyway, I started off as a real go-faster kind of kid - I loved galloping about and had great fun trying to teach my girlie to jump (unsuccessfully!!). Then she had an accident - not when I was riding her - and, after she'd been on box rest for several months, I found I preferred laid back hacking to lots of galloping, so I really went into a happy hacker phase and did a lot of longer rides. Now though I prefer just spending time with her to riding. She's had a few health problems over the last year, so I tend to worry quite a bit when I'm riding and I simply don't enjoy it as much as I used to. She's in quarantine at the moment because she has ringworm, and instead of riding I've been playing games with her in the menage a lot. This basically involves us racing round the menage - she always wins, obviously - but she really seems to enjoy it! There was a lot of excited bucking and snorting today, but she was quite happy to just trot when I was jogging. One of my friedns would also much rather spend time with her horse than ride, although she has confidence issues. I don't think this is my problem - I just don't seem to have the same enthusiam for riding that I used to.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

im sometimes like this.
On some days id rather just go to the RS to 'hang out' with horses and spend time grooming them ect.. rather than getting on and riding them

sometimes when you are worried about a horse it is easier to just spend time with them and they also love you to spend time with them, you become part of their herd. make sure though that you are the boss. post a pic of her..

Yes I was a bit of a mad child loved showing,comp,eventing doing local rideouts.Think maybe something to do with the bad fall I had but one day sat on the saddle and knew within myself that riding was not for me.took in some youngsters and helpt with ground work.a year after that gave up large horses
and now have american mini horses and a mini shetland still show inhand we
walk out everyday together ,I talk to them they turn their bum away from me and eat.They are a pleasure to have and canter down field to me every morning..Dont miss the riding though when I see all these photos on forum
of folk jumping I do feel a bit sad:confused:

I don't think it would worry me If I could never ride my horse again, as long as I can have my daily cuddles I'm happy. Just watching them gives me so much pleasure:D
Due to family and damned work comittments, not to mention the weather, I haven't ridden Scooby for a month now. He's not bothered, it's me that thinks I 'should'

I used to think I would really miss Riding. I came back into it after quite a break and had a horse on trial, was riding him initially 3 - 4 times a week. For various reasons he went back and I bought a Youngster.....must admit I didn't miss the riding, WAS looking forward to being able to back him etc., and then found I had a neck injury making him, in particular, a bit of a risk.

Sold him on and bought a younger Youngster:D I am hoping by the time she is ready to be backed my neck will have been sorted one way or another i.e. been operated on or settled down.

I am looking forward to riding again and could ride a friends horse in the meantime. however I have realised its not the be all and end all, I am having a great time just messing around with my youngster.

I used to be desperate to ride when I was learning but since about January, I'll do anything not to ride and love just looking after! Crazy! I asked 2 other people to ride today-fair enough, I had to muck out after work and I can't take the p**s with the OH waiting at home but I could have done it. I have confidence issues!:eek: The kid (all of 12) who rode him first said he could be a police horse, he's that laid back! I will hack on the roads again and I will canter him! ((Tho not at the same time!) When I do ride him (twice on Saturday!:D) he naps at the door and I've yet to use a stick-soppy horse Mummy!

You sound like you have a fantastic bond with her!!

I used to loose school the oldie, and at the moment i cant ride due to recovering from an operation, but the horse (not the oldie - he's gone) still needs excersized, so have taken to long lining him, down the tracks.. he's great, despite never having done so before, and really enjoys it!

You dont have to ride to enjoy your pony/horse! go for it!!

Aaw, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I sometimes get the feeling that I 'should' be riding though I've no idea why! But then, I don't really enjoy it when I do, so I've temporarily given up :) Part of the problem is that I'm going to university quite soon, so she's supposed to be going on loan though the ringworm has sort of delayed that and I get more and more anxious about it the longer I have to think about it!! I'm a lot calmer if I'm not riding and then worrying about whether she's fit or not as well.
By the way, I'd love to put some pictures up, but I don't know how. Help!!

Yes definately - that's why I don't mind winter so much as you can spend time just grooming etc.

I also do clicker training with mine which he loves and it's nice to have them want to spend time with you too.:)

yeh i love just hanging out with puzzle, and brushing and replaiting his mane :) and just generally having a good old natter (yep i sound weird but some one on here put your hand up and say you dont talk to your horse!!!!!)

and ovbs i cant ride Milly so i love spending time with her playing with her and grooming.
The latest is playing football with her hilarious!!!

I have to jump in - I'm totally new, but this is so nice to hear!:) I find myself feeling somehow that I should be guilty:confused: when I just go and "commune" with my horse, but I have to admit that some of my favorite times are when we just are together. Sometimes I groom her, sometimes we play "Tag, you're it!" and kind of chase each other around. Sometimes we just hang out and consider the universe. I do ride her and lunge her, as well - and I have an "exercise rider" who hops on a couple times a week, so it is not like she's not getting any exercise!:rolleyes:

Thanks for making me feel like it's OK to enjoy these times! I am really looking forward to my association with this group!

Edwy

Yeah I just enjoy my time spent with my horse, he is 4 I lightly backed him then the weather turned awful, and we have no menage, so I am back on the ground. I play with him daily, and really if the worst happened and I could never ride him, then he would still stay with me because I really just like him that much.

I stopped riding because of confidence (and throwing me) issues but actually would not be bothered if I never rode again as I really enjoy all the ground work we do (we do Parelli)

The day I sat in the field with a magazine, and Rosie plonked her head in my lap and nodded off was the day I fell in love. Riding - an extra bonus, chill out time in the fresh air with my gorgeous girl - priceless.

Yes, Ill put my hand up to talking to my horse - the dogs a better listener to be honest!

I love just spending time with my horse, I don't feel I have to ride her every day - just being out in the fresh air with her is a great way to chill out and gives me a great excuse not to do the housework too...sorry NEED to spend quality time with my horse can't possibly help with the.........!!:)

:)Iam not a confident rider,i do hack out with my Friends sometimes,but Beauty my Fell gelding is still quite green he is 13 but only backed last year(thats another story).I enjoy spending time with him and my Fell filly,grooming,etc,it dosent real bother me not riding much,i just enjoy being a horse owner,Beauty and i have a very strong bond anyway.:)

newrider.com