Anyone else got a complete wuss for a horse?

Nimbus65

Aug 15, 2005
Kal has been with his new herd for about a month now . . . I've always known he was bottom of the pile and I've watched him being very tolerant of his pesky five-year-old field mate - he won't kick him now matter HOW annoyed he gets. Today, though, I went to bring him in and despite Kal-bear waiting for me at the gate, P decided to herd him away from me and kicked out at him when Kal resisted. Eventually, I swung the lead rope at P so I could separate them and catch Kal. As I was putting his head collar on, I noticed blood running down the underside of his jaw - he had some on his left foreleg too. Put him in his box and then Dot, his groom, and I had a good look . . . he had FIVE nasty wounds on the underside of his cheekbones - one of them very deep, but (thankfully) all clean. We cleaned them all up with hibi-scrub and then applied purple spray (with a cotton bud - he doesn't like sprays around his head. I turned him back out, but have asked YO if he can be moved to a different herd . . . I've watched him and he just doesn't stand up for himself. Ever. He is such a wuss. Of course, his gentle, sweet nature is one of the primary reasons we fell in love with him and bought him (he stood like a rock while Dot was fishing around in that nasty wound), but I do secretly wish he'd "grow a pair" and stand up for himself a little in the field.

Anyone else have a proper "girly-boy" horse who is too sweet for his own good?

I have to add - he isn't a wuss in other ways - takes most things in his stride while out hacking, isn't particularly spooky - but doesn't much like the whip. I wouldn't say he was a nervous horse - he's just extremely submissive with other horses.

Bless him.

N

Joey is the worlds sweetest and gentlest horse but god i wish he'd stand up for himself. I have seen crows chase him off his bucket feed:eek: He's bullied by any horse i turn him out with and all he does is stand looking worried whislt they kick and bite him and he just stands there.
The amount of times I've had to stand guarding him to protect him:rolleyes:
Horses who have never bullied a horse before even tend ot find Joey good to bully and will chase him and bite/kick etc and he never ever retaliates. When i got Seb (the other tb) I had to sell him due to the sheer damage he was doing to Joey. At present he is getting bullied by a small 2 year old pony:rolleyes:

Tia is the world's biggest wuss - she has 'VICTIM' tattooed on her forehead.

She's fine hacking out - very brave in fact - but she gets picked on by everything!

I have a really beautiful well mannered TB. His name is Junior but he is called Julia as he is such a wuss.

He is constantly injured with nips and stuff but seems to also take an eternity to get over things. Like Kal he is very submissive to other horses and free schooling? Dont even THINK of raising a lunge whip - lunge whip = Grand National Racing not schooling.

HOWEVER, saying that, I wouldnt swap him for the world and love my goodnight kiss over the door - long live the wussiness in him!

Like Kal he is very submissive to other horses and free schooling? Dont even THINK of raising a lunge whip - lunge whip = Grand National Racing not schooling.

How funny! I thought it was me being a numpty when schooling - Kal is exactly the same - although he will tolerate a long schooling whip.

His jaw is really swollen today from all the kicks - keeping an eye on that - and he's out on his own today next to his new "proposed" herd, which includes Finn - the first horse he made friends with on the yard and his next door neighbour in the barn - when I turned him back out after working him today, he and Finn grazed together side-by-side by the fence - bless. Also, Finn is the herd boss - so hopefully having an ally in the top boy will be good for him.

HIs kind sweet nature is why we bought him . . . so I wouldn't change him . . . but I do wish he would stand up for himself!

N

I used to own a WUSS. an Arab.

It would be nothing to go up to find him stood in the lane, having jumped out
of the field because another horse had threatened him:rolleyes:

I will NEVER forget the time I HAD to move, and he had to go in with a 'herd'
OMG I nearly had a heart attack, I don't think he stopped running for two days:rolleyes: One particular Horse was just too much of a bully so I moved
him in with the smallest of ponies in a field on their own. Again he was obviously
threatened so jumped out, big WUSS, he had a huge cut, box rest for almost 3 months cos all
the stitching broke down:eek: NIGHTMARE.

HOWEVER, he came out a slightly more assertive Horse:p He certainly was never top of the herd, lol, but he learnt to hold his own thank goodness or on occasion, ran FASTER!!

Last edited:
newrider.com