anyone else's horse have crusty ears?

jamsinthecat

Sep 2, 2005
the sunny Isle of Wight!
My lovely pony suffers from quite dry, scaly skin in her mane and tail and also has crusty white plaques inside her ears. My vet has had a look at them and said they are aural plaques and that there isn't anything that will get rid of them. Does anyone else's horse have these plaques in their ears and is there really nothing I can do to help them? Also how do you relieve the dry skin at the base of the mane and tail when it is too cold for a bath at the moment?

Thanks guys
Annabel

My horse had aural plaques when I bought him. I was told by the vet to leave them alone, apparently they are form of fungal growth that can be irritated by fly bites. This summer I made sure that he went out in a fly mask with ear covers and basically forgot about them.

I looked in his ears last week and they have gone! There are pink skin patches (he has dark skin) where they were (looks like the skin pigment has gone). Maybe the fly mask worked?

With the dry skin (if it's just ordinary scurf), I would get a towel and soak it in warm water, wring it out thoroughly and then rub it very gently on mane and tail. That should lift the scurf.

For the scurf I would use baby oil. My friend's pony has a really flaky dock so she covers it in baby oil twice a week and it seems to work.

thankyou very much for the reassurance about the plaques. I will leave them be as she doesn't seem bothered by them at the moment.

i will give the warm towel and the baby oil a try on her dry skin and see if it helps.

As always, top advice:)
Annabel

newrider.com