Anyone ever had a broken wrist?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I have one at present, 2 weeks to go. It is my right (dominant) hand of course.

I am just wondering what I should expect when the plaster comes off - how quickly will my strength and range of motion be back to normal? I am trying to do the recommended exercises while in plaster every day, I want my hand back!

:eek:
Poor you! No riding I guess? unless you're seriously brave of course:D

No idea on recuperation for wrists, my sister broke her elbow a year or so ago, took ages before full motion came back and swelling went down. However she's not very sporty so probably wasn't very motivated nor determined :confused:

Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery xx

I broke mine years ago and naughtily still rode with the cast on :oops::rolleyes: it felt weak after the cast was taken off for a couple weeks but kept doing the exercises and wore a tubee grip for any lifting for about 3 weeks then all was pretty normal after that. I recommend lots of moisturiser on your skin though ;)

I broke my wrist when I was younger, I still had sneaky rides too!
I remember my wrist feeling quite floppy once I had the cast off and had to wear tubi-grip for a couple of weeks. Wasn't long before my strength returned.

That sounds encouraging! I have to say I haven't ridden because I cannot tack Ziggy up with the plaster across my hand, plus of course he is a mud monster and I can't groom him with my left hand either! But thanks for the news, that is better than I hoped :D

Plus the doctor says I am very tough for an old bird so with luck I will heal well. I am scoffing comfrey (knit-bone) like sweeties!

I know kids are different but Twin 1 was told by the Consultant that she could just treat her arm normally when the cast came off. She rode the day her cast came off. (Well she rode before that actually!) and she was doing handstands in the garden within a few days.

I have broken my wrists numerous times (I'm very accident prone!), last one in December. I was in a cast for 7 weeks, and carried on riding. It will feel really weak and odd when the cast first comes off. Mine felt really pathetic! It only took a couple of days to get the range of motion back, but a couple of weeks for the strength. I still cannot lean on it with my hand out flat, but that's how I broke it in the first place. I do a lot of weight lifting so they are abused a lot.

You will be given physio :)

Get yourself two resistance bands and tie them around bed post or door handle or pillar at bottom of the stairs etc and use that to strengthen gently and quickly. Worked a treat for my shoulder after my tendon and bone surgery :)

Physio will help and shouldn't be too long before it strengthens up. I remember doing my knee and having a leg long cast from hip to ankle and I'm sure it was only a few weeks with physio before I was back to normal. A doctor once told me that a break heals easier than a torn ligament (I tore my ankle ligament falling up the stairs - don't ask haha) because once elastic snaps, it's hard to get it back together the same way and a ligament is very similar to elastic. I kind of wished I had broken my ankle instead lol It's never been the same.

I broke mine (compression break) about 6 years ago being bucked off my friends horse. It was in plaster for 7 weeks, felt very weak for a few weeks.

I'm off skiing next week so hopefully I won't repeat your accident lol

How is your wrist doing Jane? Son in law fell and broke his this week and the horse world seems a mine of info .

Well I've been out of plaster for about 4 weeks and I have pretty much normal use of the hand, but it is still stiff, sore and tingly and I don't have proper adduction - I can't spread my fingers as wide as I used to (I can tell by playing the piano, I can barely span an octave) and I can't tilt my hand forward, back and sideways as much as before.

I'm working on physio, which apparently can last several months. So annoying! Back on board Ziggy though.

Please give your son in law my sympathy. Is it his dominant hand? It usually is...:(

newrider.com