Anyone Found Straw in Trailers Helps Loading?

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Tobes is NOT scared of the trailer at all.

He loads much better going away from home than coming back - and thats any home he has been at, so we can rule out not wanting to go home (hopefully!!)

He stands with his two front feet high on the ramp and lounges with a back foot.

Cracking him on the arse (as OH found to his detriment when he was very busy one Sunday and had given Tobes a stiff 'reminder' to get on board to leave the yard), caused Tobes to absolutely HATE OH, kicking out at him when anywhere near his back end on the return journey, and to take one and a half hours to get on.

Anything behind him - lunge lines, cause him to panic and kick out, so it is really the softly softly approach.

I have previously loaded him with the 'if you won't go forward you must go back' technique, but it is like a huge game to Tobes. He gets on when he is ready which is HUGELY annoying!!

So, am sure he is just being a PITA, but has anyone found straw more inviting for them to load? In the old days we always had straw in the trailer.

I have never seen anyone to put straw down in a trailer. I would worry about them slipping on it whilst in transit.

Ben went through a tricky stage to load and what works with him is absolutely not letting his feet stay still for a second if he refuses to load. If he doesn't walk on straight away I back him up, turn him in circles, make him march round, more circles etc. etc. This makes him walk on the lorry straight away for a rest!

Was this not discussed earlier - it was probably you who suggested it Sally - something about them not liking certain colours and that's why folk put carpet down on the ramp to change the colour of it? Oh I don't know!!! I'm still lost on the whole loading issue and I'm dying to get my teeth into it and sort Flipo out, but I lack the facilities. He would quite happily stand with his front feet on as well and not move an inch. He wouldn't even react if you walloped him (not that I've tried, I just know he's immune to being moved if he doesn't want it). I like MP's idea. I just guess Tobes and Flipo are going to constantly be finding new ways to evade 'capture'. They have their own minds and want to use them!

I do get where you are coming from.

Tobes and I did several gruelling months (for both of us) of ground work.

He can back up on the flick of a rope. But he is the MOST stubborn horse I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. I love him, but if he was a person he would be one of those that if you said black he would say white. Almost everything is a fight, then you win it, and then he gets on with it.

Trailering, in spite of having done the whole Monty Roberts thing with him (stop and you back up and fast), is just a NIGHTMARE.

I actually don't especially want to go to this show on Sunday but have decided we are going to go to loads, and hopefully he will get so fed up, he will load easily!!

Well, think I am going to put straw in the trailer this weekend. He won't slip on it as there is a proper rubber floor down, so its worth ruling out.

I did notice when we hacked back home yesterday evening that certain items (ie. drain covers) we had passed a zillion times before caused the whole spook and eyeing thing. Not that the trailer ever elicits this response, he is just taking the pee ...GRRRR!!!

newrider.com