Anyone good with energisers??

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
So I bought a energiser a while ago. When the fence was used for strip grazing it gave a belt.:D Well, appeared too! Sox farted from then shock and was there snorting like a dragon!
Now, as i have done the track the fence is i would say around 500m.
Came down tonight , i had turned the fence off for a short time. Then i saw sox putting his head under the fence With the fence touching his mane/neck .So i thought Aha!! I will turn the fence on and that will show him!:D Fenced turned on... Sox is still eating..:mad::eek: So i thought the fence must be tripping. Went around with the blade of grass trick @Jessey . No shock. So i ended up going around using my finger as a tester. It does give off a small shock. Sox did move away when he got a shock. But i aren't sure if its the battery that is low, the actual energiser isn't powerful enough , the pulse seems quite.. slow but then it has to get around 500m worth of tape. The energiser is apparently 1.2J.
Ideally i want something that will give him a big enough shock so he cant be eating the grass from under the fence with the fence touching his neck and him not getting told. But not a massive shock. Just enough to tell him to keep away.

I have a digital tester which actually tells you how much the fence is putting out. 1 is low, 4+ is good and usually gives crack a if touched.
I would start with charging the battery. If it's not been used it can go flat if left sitting doing nothing. I would then check output on a shorter section. Ideally with a tester.
If you have a very cheap energiser it probably won't power a long stretch. Have you checked the fence is not directly shorting to ground. You haven't wrapped tape round wooden posts have you or is it touching some metal somewhere. That could give a low output.

I shall get a tester. I will change the battery tomorrow. Yeah i made sure when i did the fence it was all connecting and worked as my other fece had knots in it :(
i have this type of .. brand /make Electric Fence Energiser ShockRite

Is the earth stake deep enough? How dry is the ground? They work a lot better if the earth stake is in deep moist soil, so if you ground is dry then try pouring water round the stake.

Borrow a multimeter off of someone, or I thought you got a little voltage display to put on the battery? Anything under 12v left and it needs charging.
Your 1.2j will give a big enough whack, that's not the problem. Chances are it's a connection or your earth stake. Check all the connections (on the energiser and tape) are tight and clean. Then look at the earth, the little 20cm thing that comes with most kits is not enough to run more than strip grazing, ideally you need a longer earth stake, anything made of metal that a magnet will stick too will work, just pop it in next to the other one, connect the 2 earths with a bit of wire and as @Star the Fell says water them in if the ground is dry.

Reactions: Cortrasna
newrider.com