Anyone have success removing a shank?

Tootsie4U

Aug 19, 2002
PA, USA
Visit site
Back to the days of the completely unruly Bonfire stud, he was always led with a stud chain over his nose. They just had to. Even now that he is gelded I still have to lead him shanked 95% of the time. I think he has grown used to it and if I remove it he senses the change and reacts strangely. (He is noticably more uneasy/anxious and spooks more, more pushy, etc.)

I personally dont like to lead him that way. Even when I do use it I really dont have to use the shank for control except maybe to remind him every now and then that he can't drag mom over to eat grass.

Its probably just a matter of giving him more time, as he leads so well now and walks up to me (or trots up to my shoulder if I ask him to trot) just by using my voice, but has anyone else had similar problems?

I know every so often we get a horse in the stables that doesn't really want to listen in those early mornings...they want out!

so they get a chain, sometimes i can't see why it's a problem simply because a few jiggles with the lead rope and they settle down (somewhat, they don't pull, but lots of times they give a pretty little passage out the door! :p). I know Jay (the horse i used to lease) was particularly bad...when he wanted grass he wanted grass! he always has a chain as he's particularly adept at pulling, usually I wrap it around the halter a bunch of times though cause i'll pick up his halter and the chain is so loose, it doesn't need to be that strong.

Personally i think these horses do just as well when i tell them to knock it off jiggle the lead rope (a horse can't brace and haul on you if the lead rope is moving, the same concept applies under saddle where they can't lean on your hand if you tickle the rein a little) and stick out my elbow so they can't barge past. Usually horses like these i have my elbow up and to the side and give little tickles with the lead rope to ensure they are listening. It seems to work pretty well, it's been a long time since a horse has been able to haul me around...:)

Try to lead him in his bridle as having a bit in his mouth will give you more control. Start by putting his headcollar under hte bridle, but lead by the bit. As he becomes more mannered, lead him with the bridle on but have the lead rope clipped to the head collar. this means that he he gets strong, you can grab the bit to remind him to respect you.

I hope this helps.

Thanks you two.

Its really not about control. He leads fine and reacts to my voice if need be. Its just that I dont like the looks I get when I lead him shanked and if for some reason one day someone takes him out of his field unshanked, it could get ugly.

He is almost "dependant" (for lack of a better word) and almost gets "nervous" without it (lack of another good word).

newrider.com