Anyone heard of glass ball insertion for mare's hormones?

appaloosamare

Jul 20, 2008
My pal was telling me last night about a horse her sister works with had a glass ball inserted into her to stop her hormones therefor calm her moody mareness......

My mare is infertile but still major moody mare in season (appaloosamare) and she's for sale at the moment but this might help things if I kept her or sold her.... anyone know anything about it>??

A marble is placed in the uterus (via the cervix) within 24 hours after ovulation, while the mare is still in heat. The glass ball causes the corpus luteum (CL) on the ovary to remain, producing progesterone--the hormone that keeps a mare out of heat during pregnancy and between heat periods. So fools the mare into thinking they are pregnant.

The advantage of this technique is keeping mares out of heat without drugs. The disadvantage is that it does not work in every mare. When it is effective, however, the need for daily administration of progestin products or intermittent use of off-label products is avoided.

The glass balls are just marbles 35mm in diameter. Also a vet friend of mine said they had come across cases where the marble is "lost" so isn't always 100% effective.

Not sure if this helps but would have a word with your vet about it.

Marbles!

But I only know of them through a **** Francis murder/thriller :D (someone was smuggling drugs inside horses or something. V exciting)

weird - I was only reading about this last night in a magazine called Equus (US) coz I have never heard of it. If you go on their website they might have some info on it. I think it is equusmagazine.com

I knew a mare that had this done. It caused her a lot of aggravation as it kept causing infections in her uterus and eventually it had to be removed. This is obviously a bad example and there are many success stories, but I know risk of infection is one of the main considerations with this treatment.

hey

A marble is placed in the uterus (via the cervix) within 24 hours after ovulation, while the mare is still in heat. The glass ball causes the corpus luteum (CL) on the ovary to remain, producing progesterone--the hormone that keeps a mare out of heat during pregnancy and between heat periods. So fools the mare into thinking they are pregnant.

The advantage of this technique is keeping mares out of heat without drugs. The disadvantage is that it does not work in every mare. When it is effective, however, the need for daily administration of progestin products or intermittent use of off-label products is avoided.

The glass balls are just marbles 35mm in diameter. Also a vet friend of mine said they had come across cases where the marble is "lost" so isn't always 100% effective.

Not sure if this helps but would have a word with your vet about it.

Excellent thanks for that!!!

My vet (the horsey one in the practice) is off ski ing will be back on Monday so going to call him and get the crack about a couple of things and will ask if knows the score with the marble insert - would like to try it!!!

Cheers for the info ;-)

hey

I knew a mare that had this done. It caused her a lot of aggravation as it kept causing infections in her uterus and eventually it had to be removed. This is obviously a bad example and there are many success stories, but I know risk of infection is one of the main considerations with this treatment.

The mare ig highly aggitated, agrivated by her hormones so I can't imagine it must be worse.

Previous owners tried to put her in foal and she ended up with dirty water in womb....poor wifey ....

Yes, I've heard about it - does it fool the mare into thinking its pregnant or something? (If you are a fan of **** Francis and his son Felix, its mentioned in the last book they wrote together too!)

Actually called marbles, when effective they are VERY effective. Works on a high percentage of mares but, as with everything, it will not work with all and there is always the risk of side effects (infection and irritation in this case)

newrider.com