Anyone here a Driving Instructor?

jovi_y2k2

Apr 5, 2002
South Yorkshire
I'm thinking of training to be one, but there's so much hype about it at the moment I'm a bit overwhelmed about who to do my training with and how easy it is to get students both with a franchise and setting up by yourself?

Most websites I've seen so far reckon (some even guarantee!) that you can earn £30K per year but how realistic is this? :rolleyes:

Any help/advice/experiences gladly appreciated!! :)

My mum is a driving instructor so I can give you some insight into how she did it and how she finds it! You do have to be committed to the training as it's not easy and if I remember rightly costs a couple of thousand to do and you need to have time, particularly for part 3 where you start learning how to instruct. My mum is with LDC and has been an instructor for maybe 4 or 5 years now. I'm not sure why she chose LDC, I think it may have been because they didn't have many instructors in our area so she figured that any potential students they had from our area would be sent her way, making getting work a little bit easier!

From what I know I think it's best to start off with a franchise unless you're prepared to really go round and drum up your own business. As you get more well known you will probably get most of your referrals by word of mouth but to start it can be quite difficult to get pupils.

How much you earn depends entirely on how much you charge and how many hours you're willing to work. You also need to take into account the cost of paying for the franchise, petrol, the vehicle etc etc. Some driving schools (which I won't name!) have such high franchise fees that their driving instructors have to work a stupid amount of hours a week to cover them and try and earn a decent living. You also have to be very flexible with your working hours because you have to work when your pupils want to have lessons and if you're too fussy about your working hours then you'll find it hard to get business unless you're the sort of instructor who has a waiting list and can pick and choose their own hours! My mum tends to work 6/7 days a week, most of the time she has her evenings free but sometimes she has to work them, and usually she will work all weekend. Her free time is generally in the evenings and she might have a spare hour here and there throughout the day. You have to take into account the time spent driving between lessons can take a big chunk out of your day as well so it's all about being very well organised! I would imagine that most places saying you can earn over £30k a year are expecting you to work a lot of hours every week. You also have to take into account that at certain times of year business can drop, for my mum I know that approaching December (Christmas) and at the start of the year, times when people generally have less money or are saving it for something else, people will have less lessons, but in summer she gets a lot of university and college students wanting to take lots of lessons in the hope that they can pass before September when they go back.

Overall, I think that at first a franchise is the way to go, though I know that my mum sometimes finds that her franchise give her details to pupils who are not in her area or more 'difficult' pupils. You have to be very well organised and very flexible in order to earn a good wage and you need to be able to market yourself. My mum often finds that if she gets the first of a group of friends to turn 17, they will recommend her to their friends and as they each turn 17 they will start driving lessons with her too. I've also made her a website and she's on a lot of directories, very high on google etc! You need to consider running/franchise costs and that your income isn't guaranteed and that it is hard work, just like any job! You might also want to consider how many other instructors there are in your area, who their franchise is etc to see how competitive it's going to be to get pupils. In this respect the more services you can offer the better (pass plus and things), competitive pricing and I've even seen some driving schools offering presents and prizes when you pass with them! Finally, be prepared to have last minute cancellations, changes, people calling trying to book a lesson for that afternoon and making things a bit more difficult! ;)

Last edited:
My husband is a driving instructor and trust me it isnt the easy job that people think it may be I agree with everything that lucycw says, you really need to consider the petrol prices, everytime these goes up you really notice a difference, the running cost of your vehicle as when they break they not only cost you money for repairs but also with loss of business, my husband's franchise does has a pool car they can use if theirs is off the road, but in the last few months his car has cost us £2000 with the cam belt going and clutch going.

Also you have to make sure you save some money each week for tax and ni although if you are careful you can usually write these off against your expenses.

The weather this year has cost us £800 in lost lessons due to snow etc so another thing to take into consideration.

I wont go on but if you want to know more pm me :D

Thanks guys this is really helpful! I've been on an open day type thing with RED Drving School and they were really friendly and helpful. They went through a breakdown of figures for a typical week working part-time and full-time hours and that all did make sense, as well as breaking down what their franchises involve. Anyone had any experiences with this company?

I'm in quite a good position at the moment because I don't have a horse right now or kids so my time is totally open to do lessons whenever needed, and I currently work for my Dad's business which I can drop and pick up again if things really don't work out! I do love the idea of teaching and family and friends say it's something they think will suit me too. Just in a bit of a career rut at the moment and this is something I feel I can really sink my teeth into! I've always loved cars and my OH is a mechanic so cheap parts and labour! ;)

It's just confusing over who to do my training with and which franchises will work out for me! :rolleyes:

The training is expensive and the part three pass rate is very low so be prepared for lots of study, your part one is your thery, part two is a driving test and part three is your ability to teach, it is quite expensive to train as well.

Good luck though I think some people have the nature for this job like my OH he is very patient where as me - I dont think I would last two minutes :D

Thank you, I wouldn't say I'm the most patient person in the world but I do love to teach, my parents think I should become a school teacher but I know I wouldn't have the patience required for small people! I think I can just about cope with 17 year olds! :D
The funding is all sorted and I've read up about what each of the 3 tests involves, the next part is just finding the right school to go with.

I don't have any experience with driving school franchises but be very, very careful when signing into a franchise agreement. I have known 4 different people get very badly stung by franchises. Some are great, some are as dodgy as anything.

I would get your solicitor and accountant to look into the agreement. You have to remember that the franchise company is out for themselves and if, for example, they think they can make more money by selling more franchises in your area, they won't necessarily care if your particular 'business' suffers.

I would also give any company that guarantees a 30K annual income a wide berth. No one can guarantee that. It's all double-talk and marketing speak.

Sorry to sound negative - but you do really need to check out the franchise agreement to the enth degree.

thanks Tiga I'll bear that in mind.
The two schools that have caught my eye are RED Drving School and Surepass Driver Training. Has anyone had any experience with either of these?

newrider.com