Anyone hunting this year?

Lissie

Jan 18, 2016
As title, anyone hunting much this season? I'll be out with a new hunt this year as I moved to a new area about 18 months ago. Spoke to the secretary at the weekend and now really looking forward to getting out again. Started looking at new thermals and waterproof breeches to keep me warm. Lottie hunted 3 times a week last season unfortunately she'll just have to to make do with most weekends this year.

Reactions: orbvalley
I will be touch wood but not to the level you and Lottie will lol. We just do the tiny jumps, no leaping huge hedges and ditches for us! Can't afford to go every week either and life has a frustrating habit of getting in the way, but my favourite pack have just announced the last dates of exercises before hunting proper starts so I've put my favourite one in the diary and I'll try to get to any others I can. I actually prefer hound exercise (I go with Bloodhounds) to full season because of the weather.

Reactions: Lissie
One thing I have never done is go hunting as I've never been hugely into jumping so never had a suitable horse, I would really love to give it a go, do you know the sort of costs for a hireling?

One thing I have never done is go hunting as I've never been hugely into jumping so never had a suitable horse, I would really love to give it a go, do you know the sort of costs for a hireling?

A lot of hunts have a non jumping field or there's nearly always a way round, I know people who go out and don't jump much. I think hirelings can be expensive, what area are you in? Around the big hunts and down south they will be more money.

Why don't you give it a go on your own horse? Autumn hunting has started so ideal time to ease into it, there's less horses, little if no jumping and much slower. You don't need to stay out the full day either, I'll not do all day every week as I think it's a lot for them.

Nope. Still haven't found my brave pants for hunting :p

Looks like you've pretty much found them from your recent posts! You might get into it, just think of it as a big hack in company across the countryside.

I will be touch wood but not to the level you and Lottie will lol. We just do the tiny jumps, no leaping huge hedges and ditches for us! Can't afford to go every week either and life has a frustrating habit of getting in the way, but my favourite pack have just announced the last dates of exercises before hunting proper starts so I've put my favourite one in the diary and I'll try to get to any others I can. I actually prefer hound exercise (I go with Bloodhounds) to full season because of the weather.

Yes it is expensive isn't it, but as I've only had 1 horse over summer, my yard only charged me for 1 stable and kept the other reserved FOC and had no pony parties I've managed to save a bit of money. I've been out with bloodhounds before, lots of fun, they go at some pace too!

I'm missing out on autumn hunting atm as no suitable saddle :( having a bit of a nightmare saddle wise. I'm already looking at buying a thermatex waistcoat for under my jacket and thermal layers to keep warm, but I am excited about the hedges!

Oooer never in a million years would I be brave enough! Love the idea, everyone always looks so smart when they set off. Can imagine how wonderful it feels after to know you've had a great fast ride and come back safely. Even on a well trained horse I still don't think I'd manage. Not unless you can just trot along at the back:p:D
I don't think there is any hunt packs up here anyway.

A lot of hunts have a non jumping field or there's nearly always a way round, I know people who go out and don't jump much. I think hirelings can be expensive, what area are you in? Around the big hunts and down south they will be more money.

Why don't you give it a go on your own horse? Autumn hunting has started so ideal time to ease into it, there's less horses, little if no jumping and much slower. You don't need to stay out the full day either, I'll not do all day every week as I think it's a lot for them.
I'm in east Anglia. Sadly Jess isn't sound enough to go any real distance/speed, if she hadn't had the lameness issues I would happily take her :)

I'm in east Anglia. Sadly Jess isn't sound enough to go any real distance/speed, if she hadn't had the lameness issues I would happily take her :)

That's miles from me, I'm Shrophsire/Welsh borders, if you contact some of your local hunts they should be able to give you a list of people that do hirelings. I'd expect it cost over £100 for the day though as you'd be paying visitors cap too o_O if you have a local bloodhound pack they are often cheaper and more open and friendly.

Reactions: Jessey
Oooer never in a million years would I be brave enough! Love the idea, everyone always looks so smart when they set off. Can imagine how wonderful it feels after to know you've had a great fast ride and come back safely. Even on a well trained horse I still don't think I'd manage. Not unless you can just trot along at the back:p:D
I don't think there is any hunt packs up here anyway.

It is a great feeling, I never hunted Charlie as he wasn't that sort of pony but used to love going on the old man. You cling on and let them go with the rest, they stop when they all stop lol. That's a shame, they are always nice to watch even if you don't take part yourself.

Reactions: Trewsers
If you want to read up about a beginner starting to hunt, I recommend Jane Shilling's book, A Fox in the Cupboard - no e book so you may need to use the public library. It is her account of first learning to ride as an adult, then buying a horse through here teacher and then her teacher taking her hunting.

Been invited to a meet but I just don't think mine has the manners.
I have never actually taken anything I own, always borrowed so I might do that if I can find a mount for the day.

Been invited to a meet but I just don't think mine has the manners.
I have never actually taken anything I own, always borrowed so I might do that if I can find a mount for the day.

Why don't you think yours has the manners? Just out of interest, I do find autumn hunting is good for easing them into it. And letting them go and find their own pace. One of the worst things can be keeping hold and trying to keep them at the back because you think it's quieter. Fingers crossed you'll get to borrow a horse for a day. I can't wait for it, slightly nervous as new horse but can't wait to point her at some hedges :p

Reactions: Jessey
You can't be far from me, Lissie. I'm near Bridgnorth. Which hunt are you with? Closest to me is Wheatland, with Albrighton a close second.

You can't be far from me, Lissie. I'm near Bridgnorth. Which hunt are you with? Closest to me is Wheatland, with Albrighton a close second.

Don't want to give my location away on an open forum but I'm not too far. A bit more Welshy though lol.

Why don't you think yours has the manners? One of the worst things can be keeping hold and trying to keep them at the back because you think it's quieter.
I won't hold her. She is super strong in company and I haven't had the chance to work in this as we mainly go out solo.

newrider.com