Anyone not fallen off yet?

Weds-2009

Apr 13, 2009
I had a few lessons when I was about six and the only time I ever went on a walk out my pony (Snoopy) decided to canter off up the field - it felt like a million miles an hour. First my hat fell off and I remember holding it. in my hands.. and then of course I fell off :D:D:D

My Dad said we disappeared behind a barn and only the pony came out the other side :D:D

Have not fallen off yet this time round but know I will - so tell me, it is really horrid and painful?

xx

Since returning to the saddle back in Jan. i haven't....yet!!! Hope i haven't now tempted fate. I am dreading that first one for sure but i guess it will happen sooner or later!!

I hadn't fallen off in nearly a year back on horses..... untill I gave mixed signals to a green horse and went out the side door (it was that or a fence), landed on my hip/back and am still recovering a month and a half later (sore when sitting in some positions).

Everyone falls eventually!

I have only fallen 3 times in my 2 years riding, and all were when learning to jump. The last two have been slow, inelegant slithers down Jack's shoulder, and pretty painless really. The last one I was laughing as I hit the deck, as it was just so inevitable :D

After bring back my cob who had ligament damage a couple of years ago, I fell off three times in three months, he turned from a very laid back boy to one totally freaked out by everything! He span and bolted for home!

I parted with him in December, because the last fall totally shocked me, and I knew I wouldn't get back on him.

I haven't fallen off Ben yet ( had him since Jan) apparently, nobody has fallen off him in 7 years!

my OH has been riding for just over a year and has so much guts he has been galloping, jumping, xc and all, and i've been waiting for his first fall. it finally came the other week, his horse polarus and he were galloping across the middle of our field, alongside a little wall, and when he spied a gap in the wall ultimately leading to home, P skidded, cut through the gap and shot off. stu lost his balance, hing around p's shoulder for a bit and then sort of backflipped as P skidded to a halt.

Bugger landed on his feet, reins in hand. :rolleyes:

LOL!! I never fell off a horse as a child just turning up at a stables getting on great big horses and hacking out. I never fell off as an adult returning to lessons at an RS. I have, however, fallen off lots of times since September when I bought my own pony!! It has usually been when said pony has been galloping and then decides to drop his shoulder and unbalance me, or when he kindly bucks during a canter. The falling off is getting a little less as I improve, but if I get through a hack and I have stayed on I am really pleased!!

Since starting to ride two years ago, I have fallen off four times and none were bad falls - just a few bruises and very stiff the next day! If you fall off in the arena, it's generally a much bouncier landing. I think my first fall was the worst but only because of the shock to the system and I was winded. Once you get used to the sensation, it's not so bad! How bad a fall is though of course varies hugely depending on whether you hit something on the way down, the type of surface, whether the horse goes with you etc. If it ever happens, I hope all your falls have a nice and soft landing!

I got back into riding again 8 years ago - and hadn't fallen off for the first 5 years of riding! So imagine my embarrassment when I went to dismount a 13.3pony, and s-w-u-n-g my leg over only to land flat on my side! Um forgot she was so ickle!!

Have fallen off BB 5 times - all jumping falls - the first four times were easy - did the land on feet with reins still in hand trick once! ;) So when a VERY complacent WooHoo fell off for the fifth time - I realised how people lose their confidence so quickly!

Head first, knocked out cold, and broke my breast bone! Can only say - that blumming hurts!!!

But i figure if I ridden say roughly 3 times a week for 8 years - that's 5:1248 so roughly 1:250 times I ride - I'm happy to take those odds!!! :D

I fell off when i was 16 (24yrs ago !) when my horse spooked due to an explosion near by (quarry I didnt know about), broke my wrist, dislocated my knee, cracked 3 ribs & bruised pretty much all over, foot got stuck in the stirrup for a few paces to many. Since then, ive done a pretty good job of staying on. The experiance was not one id care to repeat.

I try to avoid falling off as I seem to end up in hospital when I do :eek: ...
Have broken every bone in my body, almost, and had serious concussions, etc ... I am just not very good at falling!!!!!!!
I did manage to fall "safely" a few times, though ... so it's not an automatic pain sentence. I find getting bucked off, clear away from the horse, seems to be the safest for me. Falling WITH the horse has been the worst, and falling onto jumps the second worst.
And then people wonder why I don't really jump any more!!!! :D

after returning to riding last year after 20 years break, so far I have only come off once. My lovely sensible mare (not so sensible that day) bucked me off while cantering over an open grass field. I haven't come off my other horse that we have had 6 months and hopefully don't intend to... My mare is 17hh, it's a longway to fall at speed! OUCH...

I have broken all manner of bones falling off, but had far more undignified slithers to the floor doing no harm at all....and everything in between. :D :D

Strangely, the only Icelandic I ever fell off was Torfa, an absolute brick of a school mistress. We were playing horse football and I went to kick the ball really hard......missed and threw myself off with the momentum, leaving Torfa looking at me as I lay on the floor wondering whether this was some new thing us humans had invented.

Hi

I fell off last week at my lesson, luckily I was only trotting but my RI had me doing sitting trot without stirrups on a very bouncy horse and I just couldn;t hang on and ended up slipping off and landing on my bum. It didn't hurt although for some reason my neck was stiff the next day :)

Hopefully I won't have any major falls in the near future!! Once you've fallen off you feel less worried about it happening as you've been through it once, just get back on staright away and keep trying

I've fallen off 3 times since I took up riding again at the age of 21 - when I was a kid I don't remember ever getting a scratch but all three times I've fallen as an adult I've landed on my head and got concussion/stiff neck and back! When I fell off last week the thing that was going through my head was 'blinking hell, that's another £40 for a new riding hat'...:rolleyes:

I've fallen off...

well. Let's just say if there was a Falling Off Competition, they'd disqualify me for being too good ;)
I've never been seriously injured. A bit of turning the air blue and some big cuts etc but nothing much. All my more serious injuries I got while handling horses on the ground!
Obviously as a more mature person you bounce less, but wear a body protector, good hat and I'm sure you'll be fine :)

I think the first fall is the worst, because you worry so much about it. Hence that saying 7 falls make a good rider.....to stop you worrying about them! We had a policy in my old riding school where you used to get a chocolate bar everytime you fell off, but a) I was making them bankrupt ;) and b) kids started throwing themselves off, so they had to scrap that ;)

Best thing you'll ever learn is to tuck up and LET GO! I've had many rope burns and pulled back fingernails from grimly hanging on :p Also to relax. You're far less likely to hurt yourself if you let your body go limp and floppy.

If it makes you feel any better, you could learn an emergency dismount.

Last edited:
I've fallen off...
We had a policy in my old riding school where you used to get a chocolate bar everytime you fell off, but a) I was making them bankrupt ;) and b) kids started throwing themselves off, so they had to scrap that ;)

Haha, my RI once gave me some chocolate for falling off, my mum also gave me chocolate when I fell and sat on my own foot sideways 'to make it better' it's just one of those things mum's say to get you to cheer up but unfortunately my foot was broken so the chocolate may have been somewhat wasted on it :p

As for not falling off.. I've not fallen off this year so far, does that count? :D

I've been back in the saddle for 10 years now, 5 of which I've owned Kane. During lessons at a riding school I was known as 'accident book Jac' ..for obvious reasons!!:eek: But since having my own I've come off him maybe 4 times? Only once was serious (fractured elbow..bolting horse) and the other were all silly mistakes (sitting in big field with no reins and no stirrups...scarey sheep bleated and Kane jumped sideways!!:rolleyes:).

I'm not in any rush to find out if it hurts more now I'm 40..think I'll try and stay on from now on. :D

newrider.com