Anyone remember the "Win a pony" competitions in comics?

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
I remember so clearly entering every single one. Absolutely pointless, as we lived in suburban Glasgow, and had no money, but I knew if I won, we'd find a way. ( We wouldn't have). My mum would have gone mental if I had won, but knew, unlike me, that the odds were stacked. Had to wait til I was 35, but on balance it was worth the wait. Does anyone know ANYONE who actually won one?

Reactions: MrA and Trewsers
Oh yes I remember them in Pony mag! I was banned from entering. some other horse mags held them later, but by then I didn't need to win one. I never knew anyone who won, but I did know a couple of people who made it through to the final selection.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
I loved the Win a Pony comps and spent hours and hours on my entry. I used to spend ages dreaming of the pony I would win. I remember thinking that it was unfair that those shortlisted already rode regularly and seemed to have rich and supportive parents. I wanted someone like me to win, someone who devoted every spare hour working for free at the stables always knowing there was no chance I would have my own. That changed as an adult, but as a child I was incredibly envious of kids who had their own ponies.

I loved the Win a Pony comps and spent hours and hours on my entry. I used to spend ages dreaming of the pony I would win. I remember thinking that it was unfair that those shortlisted already rode regularly and seemed to have rich and supportive parents. I wanted someone like me to win, someone who devoted every spare hour working for free at the stables always knowing there was no chance I would have my own. That changed as an adult, but as a child I was incredibly envious of kids who had their own ponies.
You were me!

You're right - the ones that won always seemed less deserving, because they always sounded wealthy! I remember one winner that was featured had a pony already, that she'd outgrown! Like you, I worked at the stables for free rides, from about age 11. When i think back at how brave (reckless!) I was, my legs go weak. We used to go to the field to bring in these quite big horses, and ride down the main road, no adult supervision, with just a headcollar! I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Things have changed for the worse - I'd walk 3 miles at 7.30am, to get there, and then back at 6pm, and no one batted an eyelid. The joy of sitting in the haybarn with my jam sandwich, tired and dirty, is as clear as if it was yesterday

• Love
Reactions: Jessey
I'd walk 3 miles at 7.30am, to get there, and then back at 6pm, and no one batted an eyelid. The joy of sitting in the haybarn with my jam sandwich, tired and dirty, is as clear as if it was yesterday
yep same here, brings a smile to my face just remembering that feeling 😁

• Love
Reactions: Huggy
Are you Jane&Ziggy or someone else? I’m confused by the username??

Oh! Didn't notice that!
It's me! It's me! For a couple of days the site couldn't identify me, Mike said it was something to do with my Hotmail email address. It was awful, I couldn't get it so I couldn't contact anyone! In the end Ruth on Facebook got in touch with Mike for me, so kind of her. Anyway, I am back now, hurrah!

newrider.com