Anyone ride in a back protector

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
Rather than a body protector?
I find my body protector so uncomfortable even though it was professionally fitted.
The main problem with it is the padding at the sides. I can never forget that it’s there and have to ride with my arms sticking out like wings in order to not feel it.
I have seen back protectors for sale, which just have mesh down the sides. They look a lot more comfortable.
I only hack out and school, no jumping, or cross country etc.
Or can you recommend a decent body protector?

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
My bp allows my arms to hang straight. But some I tried on did not. Get one properly fitted Padding was increased in latest standard but even so one should ride as if it wasnt there

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I ride in an AirOWear body protector as that is what fits me best. I barely notice I am wearing it to be honest. It is very tatty though and needs replacing so I will be on the lookout for another soon. I will be interested in any recommendations.

Lexi 123

Sep 9, 2019
Yes I do the problem with wearing it everyday is that they stinks of sweat and no amount of washing will get the small out.

Last edited:

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I don't use either, I have an air vest. I find body protectors too stiff and bulky and they negatively effect my riding, that's my personal choice. I have seen a few of the back protectors (only have padding on the back) creeping into the market the last few years, I think they were originally popular for motorbikes and have started to filter through as so many things do. I'm not really sure about them, I guess it is about prioritizing injuries, you can live with a few broken ribs and 99% of the time heal completely, but a broken back can be more challenging/life changing. I rode in a Mountain Horse jacket once that had the protection pads in it (back, shoulders and elbows from memory), that was comfortable and inhibiting.

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
Mine is airowear outlyne. But it doesnt fit me as well as the old unisex onesused to. As I have narrow shoulders and 34 bust. But very wide square rib cage. Other brands are worse tho .
My first bp which was really too small was a champion which laced up the sides like a race safe. That lace type tighten over ones waist and ones breasts together which I dont like and may hurt after a breast op.
I cant post properly just now as am away with only my phone

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I can't do body protectors anymore, they just don't fit me right. I had a Mountain Horse bodyguard which was great, I swapped it for a motorcycle jacket with padding as it had hi viz on it as well, it's just as good as the bodyguard and was cheaper.

Reactions: Jessey
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N Boxing Day Ride, Anyone Else? Cafe 13
horseandgoatmom Did anyone in ENGLAND see the "RCMP MUSICAL RIDE" this year? Cafe 8
EnglishQuarterHorse Anyone understand why it is important to ride? First Timers 4
Jessey Anyone watched The ride: ghost of Harry Smith? Cafe 8
Jane&Ziggy Does anyone ride English AND Western? Cafe 61
orbvalley Anyone ride a Connemara in a Wintec saddle? Tack & Saddlery 30
mystiquemalaika Dark mornings taking over,anyone ride? Cafe 22
Native Lover Anyone going for a New Year Ride Cafe 12
No_Angel Lovely sunny morning ride - anyone else? Cafe 14
ladywiththebaby Does anyone ride at or know of Greenacres Equestrian Centre, Harpenden? Cafe 5
ladywiththebaby Bad ride yesterday. Anyone know of a Tango clone?! Cafe 23
CheriFen anyone ride western? Tack & Saddlery 2
Shanahan Wharncliffe Chase EGB ride - 11th/12th June - anyone going? Other Disciplines 2
Sparks09 Do you think anyone would ride him? Cafe 4
ladywiththebaby Does anyone have and ride in, Toggi Canyon boots? Cafe 6
B Anyone ride in a deep sand padock? Training of the Horse and Rider 8
P Did anyone venture out for a ride in the winds? Cafe 8
B has anyone tried the kincade redi ride kids saddle Tack & Saddlery 0
D Does anyone have a horse they ride and drive ? Training of the Horse and Rider 11
Flaxen_Storm Has anyone ever organised a sponsered ride? Cafe 0
R Anyone doing Kirtlington Sponsored Ride, in Oxfordshire? Cafe 2
P Anyone ride in a pelham? Older Riders 17
Toffee_Monster Dee Valley Ride - Aug 23rd - Anyone going ? Other Disciplines 0
SarahandSolomon Does anyone need someone to compete/ride their horse? Competing 0
coloredred Did anyone find their treeless hard to ride in? Tack & Saddlery 12
J ride and relax-anyone use this???? Metabolic 3
L Anyone know where i can ride near Southampton Disabled Riding 28
Lucy+MrG Anyone know of beaches to ride on in Devon? Hacking 11
Bays_R_Best Is anyone else doing the Essex Bridleways ride on friday?? Other Disciplines 4
H Did anyone ride at Reddish Vale Farm Stockport in the 70's Cafe 2
linz20 Did anyone ride or work at kirkfields? Cafe 6
nicw Anyone ride at northern riding centre here? Older Riders 7
neasham Anyone ride side saddle? Other Disciplines 8
C anyone got a novice ride i cambridgeshire General 1
S Anyone who used to ride at Loughton Manor - Milton Keynes General 3
fellahsmum Cant find anyone to ride with! General 1
Trio Do you let anyone else ride your horse? General 57
Mimi + Me Hampton Sponsored Ride 21st Sept - Anyone Going/Been Before? General 0
ponies-R-gr8!!! Anyone know of anyone who wants to ride/loan/buy 13h pony? General 0
HashRouge Anyone else find that they'd rather just spend time with their horse than ride?? General 17
F Anyone ride in New Forest? Mobile phone signal? General 6
N anyone ride with Shin splints? Training of the Horse and Rider 3
M Charity ride.....anyone want to help me?? General 13
The Original Crazywoman Did anyone else do the EBA Middlewick ride today? General 0
O Anyone looking for a horse to ride in Somerset? First Timers 4
S Anyone ride at....Blackborough End? General 19
Rosie1994 Is anyone doing the Formby ride this Saturday? Other Disciplines 4
ladywiththebaby Does anyone ride on bridlepaths that turn into footpaths? General 37
I Anyone ride in a Barefoot Arizona? Tack & Saddlery 0
W Anyone From Nottingham Who's Experienced And Wants To Ride Willow? General 1