Anyone ride in a back protector

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
Rather than a body protector?
I find my body protector so uncomfortable even though it was professionally fitted.
The main problem with it is the padding at the sides. I can never forget that it’s there and have to ride with my arms sticking out like wings in order to not feel it.
I have seen back protectors for sale, which just have mesh down the sides. They look a lot more comfortable.
I only hack out and school, no jumping, or cross country etc.
Or can you recommend a decent body protector?

My bp allows my arms to hang straight. But some I tried on did not. Get one properly fitted Padding was increased in latest standard but even so one should ride as if it wasnt there

I ride in an AirOWear body protector as that is what fits me best. I barely notice I am wearing it to be honest. It is very tatty though and needs replacing so I will be on the lookout for another soon. I will be interested in any recommendations.

Yes I do the problem with wearing it everyday is that they stinks of sweat and no amount of washing will get the small out.

Last edited:
I don't use either, I have an air vest. I find body protectors too stiff and bulky and they negatively effect my riding, that's my personal choice. I have seen a few of the back protectors (only have padding on the back) creeping into the market the last few years, I think they were originally popular for motorbikes and have started to filter through as so many things do. I'm not really sure about them, I guess it is about prioritizing injuries, you can live with a few broken ribs and 99% of the time heal completely, but a broken back can be more challenging/life changing. I rode in a Mountain Horse jacket once that had the protection pads in it (back, shoulders and elbows from memory), that was comfortable and inhibiting.

Mine is airowear outlyne. But it doesnt fit me as well as the old unisex onesused to. As I have narrow shoulders and 34 bust. But very wide square rib cage. Other brands are worse tho .
My first bp which was really too small was a champion which laced up the sides like a race safe. That lace type tighten over ones waist and ones breasts together which I dont like and may hurt after a breast op.
I cant post properly just now as am away with only my phone

I can't do body protectors anymore, they just don't fit me right. I had a Mountain Horse bodyguard which was great, I swapped it for a motorcycle jacket with padding as it had hi viz on it as well, it's just as good as the bodyguard and was cheaper.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com