Anyone seen these lumps before?

Laura2184

Mar 1, 2005
Cheshire
www.cheshiretackroom.co.uk
My cob has been really itchy the past couple of weeks and put it down to him having a lot of hair and his skin is really dandruffy, had him clipped today and I can now see that he actually has some sort of rash.

Has anyone seen these lumps before? No change in diet apart from going in a new field with his grazing muzzle, no change in any products I use. :confused:

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0001.jpg

The rash is on his neck and coming down onto his body.

Any ideas?

My first thought was allergy,but if you haven't changed anything feed or product wise then that's a bit of a mystery:confused:

Could it be midges or fly's?? I noticed they have been rife where I am last day or two,due to warm temps,but damper weather.

Sorry not much help,but hope it clears up soon.

Thanks devonlass, yes it is very strange, although I'm sure the lumps weren't there this morning straight after he had been clipped otherwise I would of seen them!

But he was itching loads before he was clipped so they were possibly there just not as obvious?.. :confused:

can anything edible cause this sort of rash?

Thanks devonlass, yes it is very strange, although I'm sure the lumps weren't there this morning straight after he had been clipped otherwise I would of seen them!

But he was itching loads before he was clipped so they were possibly there just not as obvious?.. :confused:

can anything edible cause this sort of rash?

Oh absolutely anything ingested could cause this,I suffer with allergies myself,and have often got skin reactions from something I've eaten.Have seem many horses also come up in huge bumps,due to a change in feed etc.

Just noticed you mention the clipping,could he have had a reaction to the blades or the clipper blade oil?? Or maybe just a sensitivity rash?? bit like some people get when they shave for example??

I would give it a day or two and see what happens,if it's just a reaction to clipping should go away,if it's some sort of allergy he's developed and he's still in contact with the source it will hang around or get worse.

Hope it helps:)

If you've got some witch hazel, soak a pad of cotton wool and stroke that over the area in the same was as the hair grows. It might take some of the inflammation and heat out of the bumps. If he's got dry and dandruffy skin try some corn oil in his feed, one of those wise ol' horsemen types once told me that trick and it works, though takes a month or so.

My first reaction would be allergy as well. The thing is you don't need to have changed anything for him have to rected to it. A horse at my yard developed a barley allergy overnight and he had lumps all over his body just like that. It would be worth getting the vet out to do some alergy tests. However my mare has a few lumps like that at the moment and I think it is just from being clipped, almost like spots because of all the grease!

Silvers sweet itch comes up like this over her body if she is unrugged, allthough they are slightly bigger lumps. Hwowever, unlikely to develop a reaction to midges just like that, but if he was quite hairy before perhaps they struggled to get to the skin, although probably unlikely

Well the lumps have certainly calmed down a lot, you can't feel them now and you can only just see faint marks where they were, he's still itchy though so Im still confused as to why that is?! He's been clipped so no hair to get him hot and bothered and he's out 24/7 with no rug :eek: don't worry, no need to call the RSPCA on me, he's got PLENTY of flubber he needs to burn off and I see it being much kinder if he's a little cold than being fat. He's also toasty warm when I've brought him in, he's like a radiator!

I'm willing to bet it was a clipping sensitivity then if lumps have almost gone and is just still a bit itchy.It obviously irritated his skin at the time and the lumps were a reaction to that,and now it's calming down and he's just left with a slight irritation that will probably go in a few day's as well.

As for the rug and cruelty thing,don't be daft..........................everyone knows the RSPCA never do anything anyway so why would we bother to call them;):p:D

On a serious note,am sure he won't come to any harm in these temps without a rug,even I was out with just a T-shirt on today!!

:D Thanks Devonlass, even though I know he is absolutely fine living out with no rug at the moment I still feel like I have to justify myself!! I bet the walkers that go through his field think jeeees poor horse! he's fully clipped, rugless AND has a muzzle on! The other horses in his field are of the finer breed with rugs :D

newrider.com