Anyone tried pee wee bit?

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Not sure if this is the right area but searched under tack and couldnt find anything so here goes:confused:

Need some advice please? JJ came too me a few weeks ago as a 5 year old that has mainly driven but has been ridden in a pelham. Did try him in a snaffle but no breaks, no turns, no respect etc.

Tried him in a Liverpool driving bit and he is Mr. Perfect - but dont really want him in a driving bit for the rest of his life so tried mimicking the liverpool by going for a pelham.

But he is not happy with the pelham I got for him - kept trying to get his tongue over the bit and very grumpy -consequently had to tighten it up FAR too high.

Soo did some research and wondered about trying him in a pee wee _ anybody tried these and how are they on a quite strong cobby type when it comes to finding some breaks, steering etc.?

A friend used to use this bit in her horse and said its very mild, also to use on the other 2 levels you have to use a bit raiser with it, you can trial one from bit bank for about £12, id recommend doing this before buying one as you will probably find its not suitable going on what my friend said :)

Is the pelham the same mouthpiece as the liverpool bit? Look for some variety of bit with a curb and as close a mouthpiece as you can get to the liverpool bit.

I did try a peewee on a few horses when someone happened to have one at the yard and wasn't too impressed, the best one as no worse than she is in a snaffle, the other two were not impressed at all.

He is in a mullen mouth s/steel pelham - thought it was nearest to the liverpool? But apparently not according to his lordship:confused: Maybe its the mullen bit he doesnt like as opposed to the straight mouth piece in a liverpool? Maybe go with the suggestion of trying to hire a pee wee - but not sure if they will do that to send over here to Ireland. Shall have to check.

Another thought is maybe a myler - everyone seems to praise these but there are so many types not sure which I would need to go for?:confused:

Hi I just tried one on my Vanner, big fleshy tongue, only liked his Liverpool driving bit. I have to say HE LOVES IT. I put him in a Happy Mouth for riding and we were having problems with left and right and going in a straight line, he was all over the place with my signals.

Since changing to the Pee Wee he is going amazingly well, straight line, left, right and brakes !

You will need to go bigger than recommended because they do seem pretty small, I have him in the full size one on the softest set up.

He took to it straight away, didn't even play with it in his mouth.

Very happy rider but more importantly happy horse.

I would definintely recommend giving one a go, I believe you can hire them from the Saddlery Shop. I purchased mine from there.

Good luck.

thanks all - will hire one from the Uk and see how we get along with it.and does sound Cobbycob as though it might suit as it seemed to be Ok with your chap who also likes his liverpool the best!:rolleyes: My OH is making comments like 'Cant make a TB out of a carthorse you know'!!! :mad:Cheek of him - dont want a TB do I - just want my cobby!!¬:D

I used a pee wee bit for my previous cob, a 15.2 TANK, who was very strong & leant on the bit, very heavy in the hand :eek: tried the peewee & found it amazing for steering, he felt light in my hands, was able to keep him fairly loose reined (as you have to with the peewee i think) & still had good results, brakes...he was better than in a snaffle but still not great at stopping, the only reason i changed his bit to a NS cheltenham gag was cause we always mixed our roadwork with short canters on commonland & i needed something a little bit stronger! i would def recommend trying it though!!:D

newrider.com