Anyone whose looking for a large SAFE cob...

'but can be strong when handling on the ground' translates to, 'unless you a man and have arms of steel, 6ropes and chain over its nose it will drag you' note the male legs the other side of the horse :p I bet it is a handful on the ground and once you give it an inch it will take a mile with its back legs firmly in gear, also...

'couple of small sacroids' my gelding has one that cost almost £500 to remove, so should it ever need removing its going to have cost £3k anyway :p there is also the chance of it re-occuring.

also mentions reschooling, needs work in canter, what does it do when cantering? does it take off, buck, drops its shoulder.... hmmmm.

Nice looking chap, I love shires but wouldnt say it was a for a beginning purely because of his size.

My friend has a 14.2hh bombproof cob for sale if anyone is interested, im not advertising just spreading the word :)

hmm i wonder where in leicester it is. i'm not looking and i would not buy a 5yo (yet) but i know theres not many people keep shires in leics.

Hm, have to say I agree with most on here. Soemthing that huge is not right for a beginner, and no 5 year old is bombproof.

NO horse is 100% bombproof but my 3year old gelding is pretty good, and my 3 year old mare is fairly terrible, all down to experience and personality.

I have just got a weanling and as soon as he is better at leading he is out in the rush hour traffic while he is still small :p

NO horse is 100% bombproof but my 3year old gelding is pretty good, and my 3 year old mare is fairly terrible, all down to experience and personality.

I have just got a weanling and as soon as he is better at leading he is out in the rush hour traffic while he is still small :p

Agree with the fact that no horse is bomb-proof, but if I was looking for a safe horse I wouldn't be buying something that young.

Just thought I would ad, I have a 6 year old ( you wouldnt believe it if you saw how placid he is!!)

I am a novice rider and this is my first 5 months of keeping and looking after horses, I have a couple now, been through the unbroken, unloved and nutters, got my self a cobx shire and he is nearly 16h and you know what, he will take care of the smallest of riders, or take the experienced off cantering and is an angel on hacks...........I could stand and hang from the tail and he is never nasty...............very loving and I could bath him everyday and he wont bat an eyelid...............only bad thing..............he wont lead, he is a monster, he wont drag me I have to drag him........one pushes his bum other pull him forward.......hahah

Not all the young ones are silly, I have one that is also strong to lead but is loving and gentle in all other ways, also had the 12 yr old who is gentle till she makes her mind up she doesnt like something...........haha

My Percheron in Bombproof, 110% he's six but weve had him a year and has never ever spooked EVER just goes along with his day... I do expect we will find something that makes him go argh....

He was out on a hack and we have a air base near us and some plane/jets flew over head and he didnt freak or really react. Lots of ear twitching and he grew an extra foot, then he exhaled and shrunk again.... while my friends horse was throwing summersaults next to him!

Sarcoids arent the end of the world, camrosa cream is wounderful stuff !!

(He has the manners of a hippo stallion on the ground so isnt perfect he only has one goood point)

My percheron is pretty much bombproof too, only she does have a tendency to chase cars and rabbits.

(ok, I know, I know, I'll shut up :eek: )

..............only bad thing..............he wont lead, he is a monster, he wont drag me I have to drag him........one pushes his bum other pull him forward.......hahah

Have you tried standing beside him and asking him to move forward? Then if he doesn't, with your left hand swing a schooling whip behind you and tap his bum. So he doesn't know where it came from, but that going forward with mum is better than being tapped from behind by an unknown something. My mare started to plant and I got her over it fairly quickly this way. I also use a long lead line, made from yachting rope, that I swing around my body if she considers planting now. It doesn't even touch her, but she knows that it will if she doesn't move sharpish.

He is lovely, I saw him and thought, mmmmmmmmmmm BUT I have Rosie.
In many ways thats how I would describe my cob Rosie, she was and very occasionally can be strong on the ground, usually if she is stabled overnight and wants to go back out{ I use a douley, which puts a stop to that} she also needed some work in canter when I got her, she hadnt been ridden for a while and done hacking mainly, she didnt know her aids for canter, she is getting better now, occasionally drops a shoulder{i thik thats what she does}

When I bought her I had never owned a horse before, just helped with a pony, only been riding a year and a total novice, I still am :)

newrider.com