ANYTHING is EVERYTHING :)

RidingFree

May 24, 2019
OK, so i am going to do a three day riding course in Devon because i absolutely ADORE horses and I've ridden a few times before now on hacks and a few lessons and stuff and i can canter i just need to improve sitting it and keeping my shoulders still while my hips move (at least i think that's what the RI instructor said!) So, basically i'm quite new but before now i was obsessed and got my hands on every single horse related book i could so i know some stuff but there's quite a lot (an awful lot) that i don't know. There are loads of really advanced people on this forum so even if you think your rubbish then just remember your already better than me ;) But i need all of your advice on anything that might come up on the course so that i can learn quickly and afterwards i am probably going to get lessons so ANYTHING you have from jumping to novice dressage would be greatly appreciated!!! ESPECIALLY inside and outside reins and leading on the right leg but literally ANYTHING you have will be useful!!! Thank you so much!!! xx

That's a pretty broad question, anything could come up during 3 days, what is the course you are doing aimed I at? Is there not a schedule for it? Perhaps then we might be able to suggest the type of things that might come up :)

Reactions: RidingFree
Not sure, i think they evaluate your abilities and then work onward. We get 2 hours riding (1 lesson 1 hack i think) and the rest is stable care and management but literally anything you have is really helpful xx

Is it a general horse care/riding aimed at novices?
If so, I would guess you'll be taught to groom, tack up/untack, muck out and do hay nets and basic handling skills. Perhaps some basic health checks, maybe tack cleaning.
For the riding piece, outside and inside rein is just which ever one is inside or outside of the circle you are working on. Diagonals in rising trot, you 'rise and fall with the leg on the wall' so looking at the outside shoulder you rise as its forward, sit as its back, to change diagonal you simply sit for 2 beats and resume your rhythm. Correct canter lead, if you glance at the shoulders, the inside one is reaching further forward. But don't spend too much time looking down, your body tends to follow where you are looking and you don't want to fall off :) same for riding shapes etc, look where you want to go in the next few strides, ie into the corner before to the back of the ride, if you look at the back of the ride (last rider in the group ahead) you will be more likely to cut across straight there. Focus a little energy on your breathing when you aren't busy doing exercises, short, excited, nervous breaths can be felt and mirrored by the horse, long, deep, regular breaths can help everyone stay relaxed :)

Reactions: Huggy
Well my advice would be to go on your course and have fun!!
Don’t worry about what you can and can’t do, that doesn’t matter. You will learn loads over three days, and will probably ache in places you didn’t know you had too.

Reactions: Huggy
Well my advice would be to go on your course and have fun!!
Don’t worry about what you can and can’t do, that doesn’t matter. You will learn loads over three days, and will probably ache in places you didn’t know you had too.
yep, i learnt loads!! i went from being shown how to tack up and untack to being told get so and so tacked up then untack so and so!! the difference is incredible!! Thank you all so much for your help!!

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
Ok so first day we got there and we found out the horses we were riding. There were twelve of us but 6 were there for own a pony day. We groomed them and tacked them up (with some help!) and I managed to get my Horse's ( Hoggy) fly coat off which was a bit of a struggle as she kept moving and pushing me!! first riding lesson was good and it didn't take long to get back into the rhythm of things! I didn't like the instructor though, she was a bit moody and not very patient (we were not two groups but the other group ended up with my favourite instructor) After our lesson I unpacked her , helped feed the horses and had my own lunch. I had to tack Hoggy up again but she wouldn't take the bit and kept moving her head out of reach but even Alex couldn't get it on so she hit Hoggy on the neck with the bridle eventually and Hoggy was as good as gold!!! Although in the lesson she was having a strip with me and constantly misbehaving!!! The second day was loads better and we did the same as yesterday but there was only 5 of us (one girl backed out) and I was riding Huntsman (my favourite horse) with Alex (my favourite instructor) and in our lesson we worked on catering and not letting the horses follow each other. In the afternoon we had a hack after doing some mucking out (we had almost the same day structure as yesterday) but the final day was the best because we started jumping!! It was only 3 cross poles but it feels really good to be able to say you've started jumping!!!! Only problem is keeping a light seat or jumping position (balance) for longer. Any ideas? Picture is of me and Huntsman after our hack!!❤❤ (and the stalls at the stables)986599866598658

Sounds great fun - had to laugh at your struggle with Hoggy! Sounds like she's related to Hogan - pushing you around the stable : check, refusing the bit : check, having a strop when ridden : check lol! I used to get all that on a daily basis! Glad you ended up with horse AND instructor you got on with. Nice pics :) .

newrider.com