Apparel

Cynnycal

Oct 24, 2001
Chicago IL
Visit site
i'm still relatively new to all this, so someone explain this....
why do horseriders wear breeches? and what is the difference from jodphurs and breeches? which boots are better to get, paddock boots, or full riding boots, or sport shoes?

sorry, everyone seems to think that you just automatically know this stuff.

oh, and another one...
why are there some helmuts made that dont' meet safety requirements? isn't that the point of a helmut?
which helmets are best to use (for beginners)

and how much should these things cost you? and are there any good places online to buy them?
(oh, i ride english, if that helps)

nowadays there isnt a grand difference between breeches and jodphurs.
but initially breeches were designed to wear with long boots and jodphurs with short boots.

the main difference is that breeches have velcro straps at the bottom and jodphurs dont.

what to buy...buy whatever you find reasonable and fits and is comfortable.

long boots and short boots- as a first buy msot people would recommen short boots because they are cheaper and should you decide riding is not for you you can still wear them or sell them.

long boots are expesive and take a while to mould to your feet.
you can also get long pvc boots which lots of people find fine to ride in and others dont.

helmets good for beinngers - any helmet that meets the current saftey standards - velvet hat, jockey skull, the new style of hat that i dont know what it is called that showjumpers are wearing at the moment.

jockey skull has more bulk and if you get hot and sweaty your head willls weat alot so you might want to consider one that has air holes in them. but they can make your head look like a balloon and if you are self concious abotu the way you look make sure you look in a mirror when trying out hats :)

cost varies and youc an find alot of things at a reasonable price. As for websites and buying online in your country i cant help you but maybe you can do a search for riding stores in your area/country.

I love comfy riding clothes

I have found through trail and error that without a doubt riding in breeches or Jod's makes being in the saddle tons easier than riding in jeans or say sweat pants. Just my personal opinion of course.

I enjoy short boots and half chaps as they are just plain more comfy for me than tall boots not to mention the cost difference.

You will find prices differ but all I have met agree that cotton natural breeches are affordable and comfortable. I supose breeches can range from 35.00 for a pair of schooling breeches to 150.00 for a pair of super fullseat show breeches. Paddock boots (I love ariat) range from 50.00 - 150.00 depending on what you want to spend and how often you'll be wearing them. Half chaps (did I mention I love ariat) go from about 50.00 to 100.00. I would go with leather half chaps if you decide to buy a pair. They look better, they are easier to clean, and you'll have them for a few years!

Basically the best way to find what works for you is to take a trip to the tack store get a couple pairs of breeches maybe one fullseat and one with just the patches on the inside of the knee area. If your lucky enough to have a friend about your size that rides you could try out the friends to see what you want to buy. Do a search for internet sites put in the word breeches and see the LIST of sites it spits out. VirginiaTackOutlet. com is good for a deal on just about anything (they have ariat stretch half chaps in a lovely brown on sale for like 50.00!!!! nice half chaps for the money although not leather LOL)

So get out there and find your comfy riding clothes!

on the note of half chaps..they do last a long time! i have had mine for 11yrs now and they are still intact!

riding trousers with a fullseat means that in most cases they have either leather or velour or some synthetic fabric sew onto the bum and inside of the legs.

and the patches are as they are - patches of the same as i mentioned above sewn onto the inside of the knee.

both give you extra grip but are not absolutely necessary.
but it does put the prices up on riding trousers. :)

apparral

I learned the hard way not to wear jeans. On my first few lessons, my legs were of course all over the place! And since I'm pleasantly plump, I have big calves, which were getting pinched in the leather straps. My calves had HUGE bruises on them! I went out and bought some breeches, and it was much better.

Being in winter in New England, I love riding in the heavy riding tights, they are so comfy and warm! (and I have black ones so they are a bit slimming too!)

Steph

I have a pair of brown half chaps, the ones with the zip down the side. I also have the mountain horse paddock boots and you guessed it, in brown! They are soooooo comfy!

I have two pairs of jods, one cream, one navy blue. Both are nice, but the cream ones aren't stretchy, they don't bother me though.:)

My hat is a jockey skull, and I agree with Floppy, they make your head sooooo hot in summer, ugh. I have a black velvet silk, which is very worn out poor thing:) :rolleyes:

Re: apparral

Originally posted by Stephelia
I love riding in the heavy riding tights

:eek: Please don't call them 'tights', you'll end up putting me right off my pair of Jods! :eek:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned (I've read through the posts quickly and didn't see it anyway), but the main differenece between Jods and breeches is the length (and not just the velcro fastening on the bottom of the leg! :p )
Jodpurs are designed to go with 'short' boots, whilst Breeches are designed to go with 'long' boots, so the length of the Jodphur is greater thyan that of the Breech. It doesn't matter if you wear Jods and long boots (well I do anyway :D ), but having a bit of leg exposed with the combination of short boots and breeches might not be so clever! :D :D

newrider.com