Appley has now been sat on - pics

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
this morning I bit the bullet (with friend's help .... as, er, always!) and 'backed' young Appley. She was very good indeed!! all the longreining really paid off it seems, she did 'stand' and 'walk on' off my voice like a pro! we even managed some turns :) i'm even more pleased we managed all this without anyone leading her (i had friend in close proximity, of course!)!

what is going on?

Image0727.jpg

Image0728.jpg

off we trundle

Image0731.jpg

Image0733.jpg

turning

Image0734.jpg

and getting a cuddle afterwards

Image0736.jpg

very proud of the little beastie :)

we'll do this a few times, then she'll be turned away for winter :)

she is so laid back she's almost horizontal :happy:

i've had her since july 2009 (she is 3 and a half now), we basically spent a year walking out inhand (on the roads, on farmtracks, anywhere really!), longreining off a dually first (in the school, but mostly out and about), then in a bridle and (lose!) sidereins and did your usual groundworky things almost daily (just for a few minutes, like backing up nicely, leading politely, respecting my space etc) - she's been a superstar all the way :happy: (but she can throw an impressive tantrum and throw her toys out of the pram as well if she feels like it!!)

Aaawww bless her,it's a great feeling isn't it ? We have just done this with Spirit and have even had a little totter up the lane , she looks very calm and unfazed by the whole experiance :biggrin::angel:

*giggle*

I think you might be joining us on the short coupled, long leg saddle joys :giggle:

Something to look forward to ;)

PS Bridle looks cool :D Where is it from and is it a soft web or more like a headcollar material?

@ popularfurball: i have borrowed a Cashel softsaddle for backing (just waiting for girth to arrive!) from a friend, so I'll use this for the moment.

in the spring/next year i'm planning on a 16" thorowgood T4 initially (but i suspect I'll end up treeless again eventually!)

I was looking at the cashels for madam - you'll have to let us know how you go with it - they look so comfy but Im too scared to change now Ive found something she is happy with!!!!!!!!!!

I really like the thorowgood saddles, we were using a maxam, just a shame they dont make tabletop width :giggle:

VERY chuffed :) hopefully things will stay as good :)

longreined her today ... selective pony amnesia seems to have gotten the better of her. the pony who cantered on the longreins beautifully only last week denied all knowledge of ever having done so. i cant begin to tell you just HOW out of breath i was afterwards ....

i think i'll give that a miss :tongue:

this is the first time i have attempted anything of the kind and i'm getting lots of help and advice from a friend. and appley is a 'one in a million' pony (even if i say so myself, ahem!).

julia

ps: and I seem to always bring out the very worst in section Ds!!! me and welshies don't work for some reason.

newrider.com